Floor caves under Weight Watchers weigh-in No one injured — but dieters might have extra motivation to shed pounds

As a Weight Watchers group gathered for a routine weigh-in, the dieters got an idea of how far they still had to go: The floor underneath them collapsed, a Swedish newspaper reports.

"We suddenly heard a huge thud; we almost thought it was an earthquake and everything flew up in the air," one of about 20 group members said to the Smalandsposten newspaper. "The floor collapsed in one corner of the room and along the walls."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881925/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

What did you think when you read this headline?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Likely because Sweden isn't worried about being politically correct, people either laughed or didn't think twice about it. If that had happened here in the US with the same accompanying headline, people would be suing the newspaper, and probably Weight Watchers--just because!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• That is a terribly cruel headline, is what I think!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I find it funny, but mean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Well, it is the truth--it did happen. But maybe the building had flaws and the floor would have collapsed anyway. However, now days with so many grossly obese people,eating cionstantly, I bet there were a bunch of 200+ pound women at that meeting. EVen in European countries there is more obesity. Truth....just facts, not cruelty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Wow!!! the headline was funny in a mean sort of way.

Answer by older at 10:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• That isn't because of how heavy the members were, you all realize that, right? That was because of the poor support under the floor. The safety commission apparently hasn't done a recently thorough inspection of the building in quite some time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't think the headline is particularly cruel. It's kind of sarcastic...If I was at that meeting I would be hard pressed not to make that same joke, even about myself, and I am no lithe little bird.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If this had happened during a meeting of an anorexic support group it would be funnier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Funny. My overweight step dad broke a brand new chair in our home. He is about 380lbs. He blamed the chair couldn't be his massive size. The chairs were fine nothing wrong actually broke in a place that had nothing to do with workmanship. He is a flumper sits down fast and has broken furniture in their own home. Everyone handles him with kid gloves. I just tell him if he doesn't like not breathing or not being able to walk without pain he will stop chugging Mountain Dew eating two large pizza's in one sitting and will eat more healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2010