Should I move him to a toddler bed?

My son has decided that its a good time to start climbing out of his crib, falling onto his head. :( The mattress is as far down as it can go, and he doesnt keep any toys in there at night, so I have no idea how he did it. That said, Oliver is nearing 18 months, he is not walking yet, he is however cruising. I dont think that we have many "good" options right now. With the crib, we risk him falling out again, which is nearly a 4 foot drop. The pack n play, I dont think it would hold up to him at this point, Im more afraid of him tipping it at this point. Mattress on the floor, there is nothing at all to keep him on it... A toddler bed, I could, and will, add a side rail, as well as putting it against the wall, but he can still fall off... If anyone has any suggestions, please, please, please make them! I never thought that we would be in this situation where there isnt a truly safe option.

mimanchibella

Asked by mimanchibella at 10:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When we got to the a point. Our crib changed into a toddler bed. Everyone will give you different advice. But I would if could not change crib into toddler bed. Just buy a mattress and box spring and put them on the floor. so there is not as long as a fall. Which this is something we do after they outgrow there toddler bed. Then we put a gate up to there room to keep them in there room safe. I also know others will feel this is just so bad. But think about it that is why you have them in a crib. So they are in a smaller space. Here they have there whole room to move around and not get hurt in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Toddler beds are at the most 6 inches off the ground depending on what model you get. If he were to fall out of it, then he would at the most get a bruise. He would sustain any damage from falling out of a toddler bed. There are cheap models to expensive models depending on what you feel is right for you and your child. By putting a side rail on the toddler bed it will make it harder for him to get out of, but toddlers when determined can get out of anything. A toddler bed or mattress on the floor (You can put side rails on that as well. They have ones that the base slides under the mattress) are your best bet right now. He is probably too big for a play yard anyhow, as they're mostly geared for younger children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• P.S. If he does manage to climb out of bed again, put a gate up in his doorway so that he cannot leave his room. Cover all outlets and dont' leave anything he shouldn't have in his reach.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If I was concerned about my son falling off bed I would put his mattress on the floor. We co-sleep and have had the mattress on the floor as soon as he started wiggling a lot because our bed was fairly high up. You won't be able to sleep if you worry about him falling all the time, so I would put his mattress on the floor...even in a toddler bed that my son sleeps in during day he has fallen out AND it has a railing!!! So I don't even do that at the moment.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think it is time to move him to a toddler bed. You could put another mattress right next to the bed if you are worried about him getting hurt if he falls out and a gate in the door way is a great idea. Another idea is putting a single mattress on top of a double mattress that is on the floor.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I just moved my 17 month old to a toddler bed, if you feel its time then its time. Good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 11:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My third daughter learned to climb out of her crib at nine months old. In fear of her hurting herself we took the crib down and put the crib mattress on the floor. We child proofed the room big time and used a gate at the door. She is 26 today but I do remember each night finding her somewhere on the floor in the room or hanging off the mattress. I would move her to the mattress the way she should be on it. She eventually learned to fall asleep the right way on her mattress. Then we moved her to a single bed .
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 1:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• my daughter sleeps in a play pen...she cant climb out or fall out. have you tried that?
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2010