Health Care Mandate Applies to All -- Except the Amish

Democrats are planning to exempt the Amish and similar religious groups from the health insurance mandate in the final health care bill.

That's because when the Amish need medical care, they go to regular doctors and hospitals and pay in cash often with financial help from their church and neighbors. They rely on each other, not the government or insurance companies as a tenet of their faith.

Do you think that this is ok? According to the article it is constitutionaly legal. But does that make it right?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think it sounds perfectly fine.

not that an Amish person is going to be on the internet to give their opinion LOL

The Amish aren't complaining about insurance prices, they don't use it.

Mommy brain is making me draw a blank on their name, but I'm sure that the religion that does not seek any medical intervention, only prayers & god's will will also be exempt.

But if the Amish want to opt into the health insurance, I see no problem with them doing that also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't think any religious groups should be excluded, but if they are ok with it , why not!

Answer by older at 11:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Mixed emotions. People shouldn't have to buy insurance they don't want.  I have friends who are Christian Scientist, and they eschew traditional medical care and health insurance.  However, this creates a huge loophole in the bill, and it will be exploited by those who choose to go uninsured.  That will diminish any positive affect this bill might have had. 

This bill seems disasterous to me.  It began with the assuption that ALL insured people desperately wanted medical coverage.  In truth, many do not. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:05 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The Amish also barter. I have a friend that does OB care for Amish women. He is the only OB in the area that will care for them because they can't come up with the thousands of dollars it costs to have a baby. They often pay him with quilts, furniture, work, ect. They don't want charity and the things that they barter are high quality.

We went to college in the 70s when it was important to give back to others and your community because it is the right thing to do. There was a big campaign call Give 5. People were encouraged to give 5% of their income and time to help others. He considers helping the Amish giving back because he has had the honor of being able to be a doctor. Different time, different values.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:06 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Amish do mostly herbs and very little to the Doctors.. I don't blame them I wish I know how to do herbs and be a Amish person they are smart and stay away from the government ...the more the government does the more taxes we pay to give away to those who don'twork ..i am tired of putting out ;money for those who take my money and use it to line there pockets ...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• But if the Amish want to opt into the health insurance, I see no problem with them doing that also.

Following this logic, anyone who chooses to opt out of health insurance should be able to do so.  An atheist who only uses natural cures should be exempt as well. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The Amish rarely relies on the outside world for anything. I have no problem with this

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I dont think anyone has a problem with it. I guess I didnt ask this right :) Do you think that this could cause problems down the line....as far as loopholes and such!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• This pisses me off.  If I am forced to buy insurance I can't afford why should they get off scot-free because of their religion.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2010