My family always looks forward to desserts. I want to change that. Is baking them homemade good for you?

I'm thinking homemade must be better but you are still using oils, butters, margarines, sugar? What should I make for desserts?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 11:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I have always thought that homemade was better just because I KNOW what is going in it. Personally I wouldn't worry about your family enjoying an after dinner dessert. I would worry if that is all they wanted to eat all the time. If you want something with a healthier bent maybe look at some desserts that are based on fruit. Another tip is to just make enough for everyone to have one helping of the dessert. I know if there are leftovers of dessert in my house everyone eats too much. Good luck
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 11:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• yes homemade is better for the lack of preservatives.

you can find healthy dessert recipes and ideas. eatingclean.com has some fantastic ideas, but pretty much all the recipe websites have healthy options. www.tasteofhome.com has a healthy section, as does www.kraftfoods.ca
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Our favorite desserts are fruit based. A tiny scoop of organic ice cream over fresh fruit (or grilled pineapple!!) is not a cause for concern. Everyone deserves treats.

This banana bread is very low in sugar. You can use wheat flour if your family eats wheat. You can use real organic butter or a vegan butter substitute.

http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/10/02/vegan-gluten-free-banana-sunflower-bread/

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Anything homemade is usually better.. Home made stuff uses simple ingredience -- store bought uses lots of things for preservatives & sometimes hidden stuff to make you want to come back (high in sugar/salt)...

When making it at home, you can make the choice on how healthy you want to cook. There are alot of healthy recipes out there that taste just as good, if not better than the unhealthy stuff.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Rice pudding made with brown rice, with warmed (unsweetened) frozen berries on top.

Usually, we have fruit for dessert.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• One of my kids' favorite desserts is diced granny smith apples in vanilla yogurt. It's so easy to make and they LOVE it! Graham cracker with a little peanut butter and fruit preserves is a good dessert, too. Whole wheat bagels and light cream cheese, trail mix, frozen yogurt popsicles (buy yogurt at the store and freeze it in popsicles), cinnamon toast on whole wheat bread...there are lots of healthy options!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 17, 2010