Lunch meats? are not good for you because of nitrates and sulfates? what are these? and what do you put in school and work lunches instead?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 11:03 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Stay away from the soy meat substitutes. More processed crap that's super expensive.

The nitrates and such are preservatives and flavor "enhancers" that help the food last longer, retain color, and withstand the process of deli slicing. Some lunch meats have soy protein, wheat gluten, or corn products that help them hold their shape. These fillers are hard for the body to digest. They can have salts that raise blood pressure or lead to dehydration. Some are allergens.

Applegate farms has very good organic deli meats. They are expensive. They have good hot dogs too.

Almond butter, veggie subs, hummus, cashew "cheese," fruit and nut salad, home made chicken salad, guacamole... these are all hearty healthy sandwich stuffers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Well, i'm going vegetarian and I've found that peanut butter is a great source of protein (which I already knew). I've also seen that the meat-free "meat" products are good as well.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• hormel makes all natural lunch meats.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• peanut butter all the way, lol
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• sadly our schools are nut free. so peanut butter's out of the option

my girls like ham (I buy a real one and cook it then slice it thin with slicer)

i also cook chicken and beef then make sandwiches or wraps out of it.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I try to stay away from lunchmeat as well. For my husband during the colder months a make a big pot of soup every week and he takes it to work for lunch in a good quality thermos so it stays hot. I also like to make cold pasta salads, hummus with pita bread, veggie wraps and chicken or tuna salad. In a pinch cheese, crackers and fruit are always a good idea.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 4:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• There are so many ideas for lunches - I don't know how we got resigned to the idea that the only thing to send in a lunchbox is a sandwich.

Check out the book "Lunch Lessons", or Laptop Lunches' website (http://www.laptoplunches.com/ideas.html). It's full of recipes and really fabulous nutrition advice.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 6:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My son takes a peanut butter and jelly every single day, except when I can talk him in to taking some left over pizza.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010