How do you not cave into.....but all my friends have them. I find it really hard to make lunches for school. My kids always want junk they see others eating, so I usually cave in for school lunches.

How do you substitute lunch cakes, fruit snacks, sodas, chocolate....I sure you have heard it from your kids too. How do you satisfy them and not have them feeling deprived? and envy what the other kids are having? You know how kids are.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 11:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I didn't even think they allowed soda in school... get a cool reusable water bottle for them to drink water from or pack juice boxes or pouches. For snacks, pack gogurts (freeze them and they'll thaw for lunch), apple sauce, baked chips, pretzels, fruit cups, etc. There are plenty of 'fun' good for you, or at least, not so bad for you, snacks. Use a thermos to pack pasta or chicken nuggets, or pb & j or turkey on whole grain bread...

My kids are in preschool and junk is not allowed, does that change once they hit public school? What exactly are the kids eating? I'm curious what I'm in for...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You don't pack it for them. If they're hungry, they will eat what they have in front of them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Change the school. Kids shouldn't be eating those foods and the school can stop it. You risk a lot of people hating you.

If you go to a health food type grocery store like Whole Foods you can find things for kids that look like junk food and are healthier. Of course you will probably pay twice as much.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Cultivate a food snob! Teach them about what is really in junk food.

You can also make healthy treats for them. I make banana bread and cut it with fun shaped cookie cutters. I have a dehydrator and make home made fruit roll ups with real food. We have home made banana chips or kale chips instead of potato chips.

Have you seen the vegan lunch box website? There are some fun foods you can incorporate with your family's regular diet.

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Also, string cheese is always a fun snack, and get those chocolate chocolate chip vita-muffin tops instead of snack cakes...or make your own healthy, yet tasty muffins using apple sauce instead of oil, etc. And trail mix is great too =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Pack healthy snacks that make their friends want what your kids are having ... not the junk they're eating.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 12:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• gramsmom~I feel that is where my kids have learned so much about junk food. They come home and want_____ because so and so has it, or EVERYONE but THEM has it. And no I don't want to do it just to keep up with the Jones's but I was thinking that if I only give it to them for school lunches it won't be so bad, but bottom line it is NOT healthy for them. But to get back to your question the kids seem to eat a lot of fruit snack, fruit roll up with tattoos, gushers, sodas, kool-aid drinks, chocolate bars, lunch cakes, pudding cups--which are loaded with sugar and or fat, it isn't easy sending kids to school!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Most days, my daughter brings a thermos with leftovers, a piece of fruit, and a homemade cookie.

I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas that i have collected over the years; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i have my first child in school now, i am astonished by what they sell! Poptarts, rice krispie treats, candy bars, ice cream! I let my son buy pizza every wednesday, and then the other days he eats a healthy lunch that i pack him. fortunately, he doesn't really like junk food, but my #2 boy starts next year, and he loves junk food! i do read ingredients to my kids, and let them know that some things are "poison"
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2010