Cook my 7.5 monht old veggies in store bought chicken broth?

Hello Mommies,

I have a 7.5 month old who is kind of on the picky side with her veggies, i was thinking about cooking them store bought chicken broth to add some flavor, do you mommies think it's okay, if so what brand and what kind should i buy? i see that a lot of the box chichen broth has a lot of sodium, any help would be greatly approciated! I don't like to give her gerber food, only the fruit jars, i prefer to cook my own baby food!

mommy2sophie

Asked by mommy2sophie at 11:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you have tried all the ingreedients separatly (ie: chicken, soy (if it is int here, etc) you could. I wouldn't until you have tried them all separate in case of an allergy.

I dont know why you wont give gerber foods though. The broth will be processed and more is added than in the gerber food...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Can you not stew a chicken (to use in a casserole?), and then have your own chicken broth left over (so you can control the sodium). You could freeze what you don't use right now to use later.
    I would continue to offer straight veggies from time to time, since sometimes they change their minds about tastes. Or mix veggies with a fruit to "sweeten" them (sweet potatoes w/apples are a good combo) - you could look and see what the commercial foods mixed together for some good combo ideas.

Answer by missanc at 11:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i cooked my kid's veggies in chicken broth sometimes. i just used reduced sodium chicken broth.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I would talk to the pediatrician ... there is a ton of sodium in chicken broth (even the reduced sodium), and it's hard on the kidneys for babies to digest all of that. I would try to mix some veggies with his favorite fruits or something ... peas and applesauce (sounds gross to us, but babies tastes are much different), sweet potatoes and green beans, etc. Good luck!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 11:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The fruit/veggie combo is definetely a good idea...will try that for lunch today!!!!
    mommy2sophie

Answer by mommy2sophie at 11:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Don't use chicken broth, but try sauteing them in a bit of olive oil before pureeing them. Yummers! And it gives a little extra good quality fat and omega-3s,

karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• make your on broth
    Anonymous

• i meant own...
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't use the chicken broth either. I agree with the olive oil or even butter if the baby isn't overweight.

You don't have to puree foods. You can just mash with a fork a little and let the baby feed herself. Cook some sweet potato and mash a little.

You don't have to feed all veggies and some with similar vitamins taste better than others. Sweet potato and squash are better than carrot. Some have more nutrients. If you go to google and type in superfoods you can find websites with different lists. There are the kinds of foods it would be good for your baby to like.

For example I make whole grain little pasta with olive oil, garlic, and parmasean cheese for my grandson. How much better that is for him than mac & cheese and it's quicker and cheaper. He loves it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i use chicken stock but you can make it to.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2010