Lunch Ideas?

Hi, I need some ideas for lunch for my 17 month old, he's been a very picky eater as of lately and truthfully, I'm tired of Mac N Cheese!

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son loves the frozen turkey meatballs. I just pop a couple in the microwave for a 30 seconds. I also cook a whole box of pasta, then spread it out on a sheet tray and freeze it. Once it's frozen I put it in a ziplock. Then I can just pull out a handful of cooked noodles whenever I want. I just put a little cheese on it.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• PB sandwhichs get out your cookie cutters and cut out the sandwhich into fun. Fish sticks, soft shells with PB and apples or banana's wrapped in it, chicken nuggets, english muffin pizza's(have him help you put on the stuff) and have him help out with what ever he can when cooking. I found my oldest will eat more if she gets to help me out. I sure you will get lots more idea's if I think of anything else I will post more for you.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My son loves steamed carrots - I'll cut them up into thing sticks and steam them. Also - pasta is quick (either rotini or cheese ravioli are my son's faves) and if he'll let you, you can add veggies. If I'm in a hurry, my son loves canned green beans or peas (get the no salt added variety) and I buy a couple small cans (yes, fresh or frozen is better - but sometimes I'm in a hurry). Last week my son had corn on the cob for the first time - he loved biting the kernels off (I buy frozen corn cobs). Mashed potatoes are good, but take a little more time.
    Also - breakfast for lunch. My son loves eggs, omelettes, french toast, and grits. I don't usually have time to cook for breakfast (we usually have cereal and fruit), so lunch is a great time for me to cook him breakfast foods. Also - pancakes and waffles.

Answer by missanc at 11:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Cheese squares
    apple squares
    orange slices
    Avocado
    Beans
    Rice
    Eggs
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• A lot of things people mentioned are processed foods and little people shouldn't be eating them.

Toddlers need real meat for iron, whole grains, fruit, & veggies, eggs. Instead of chicken nuggets give them chicken or turkey. Beef, pork, and even some fish. Whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta. A potato mashed a little with a fork rather than mashed potatoes, sweet potato, squash, broccoli, and other veggies that haven't been processed. Whole wheat or corn burrito shell with pinto beans and cheese rolled up.

No boxes of mac n cheese, white bread, white rice, regular pasta, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, hot dogs, juice drinks, or other things people think are for kids.

You only have one chance of feeding your little one right. It isn't any harder or any more expensive. It is probably easier. You can save things in the fridge or freezer so you are ready when your toddler is hungry.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• cheeese
    grilled cheese
    ravioli
    jarred vegetabeles

lil sticks by gerber
    jarred vegetables

steames vegetables pureed or chopped with cheese
    ravioli
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 1:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2010