Anything I can do about her anal glands??

Ok, I have an almost 2 year old Pit bull female. For the past about 4 months I've had to take her to the groomer once a month because she stinks like fish so bad (and I tried to do her glands myself....I could not handle that smell.YUCK!!) What is causing this in the first place?? Can I fix it, and if so, how?? She is being fed FROMM's, which is supposed to be decent. Is this a breed or large dog problem? (Nobody else's dogs in my family have this issue) ANY HELP WOULD BE WONDERFUL!!!

lilmama2be

Asked by lilmama2be at 11:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Pets

• some dogs have it and some breeds dont...my MIL's beagles do and i one got me once...UGH! i refuse to let them sit on my lap anymore. She has to take them once a month to have them squeezed because they leak so bad. They can show you how to do it but MIL has also tried and its too hard for her to do. Good LUCK. I would never have a dog with anal issues.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• shay1130's right - we've had dogs forever, all breeds plus mixed both from breeders and shelters.... dogs just randomly get this - just get them cleaned out by vet and do it as soon as they start scooting on their butt bottoms - that's usually a sign that they're plugged.

it's important that you keep up on this and get a vet's opinion of their health in that area and their digestive systems and intestines too once or twice a year.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Our dog had this problem a few months back. We didn't even know, the Vet just checked him, because suddenly there was this foul odor when our doggie got nervous around the vet. He said the ducts get blocked sometime and need to be expressed. Didn't say it was a dietary thing or anything like that. And it's only happened once with our big Aussie Shepherd/Cattle Dog.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• There is actually a surgery to remove the anal glands but that is really for dogs that have major problems with their anal glands. It is not unusually for some dogs to have to go the vet or groomers to have them expressed every month. It really just depends on the dog.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Some dogs are very good at taking care of it themselves. You know when a dog puts it's butt on the ground or carpet and rubs its butt, thats them taking care of the gland issue.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I have a yorkie/mix and i get her glands done every 3 weeks by her groomer- the vet told me that larger dogs have a easier time expressing them than smaller dogs- if you can tell your dog is having issues with their anal glands, then they need to be done- it is very painful for them if they cannot express them their self-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2010