I'm wanting to go vegetartian. Any advice?

I read an article about how being a vegetarian has been linked to helping fight depression. We've already switched to Almond milk instead of cows milk. And I know not to eat meat or eggs. Is soy any good? I've looked online and don't see anything that directly says it's bad.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Soy is good

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• stop eating meat! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I would get a book to help make the transition. Add a lot of beans and brown rice to your diet, and stay away from soy. Too much soy will ruin your thyroid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Soy is very good for you, there are a number of Morning Star Products that have a variety of products that have nothing to envy from the real meat or chicken, you can find them in your local's supermarket freezer. I would become a vegetarian instead of a vegan first. Vegans do not eat dairy, and are more restricted in what they can eat. Buy yourself some vegetarian cook books and try them out, you will be surprised what a variety of dishes you can make. I have been a vegetarian for at least 13 years, never will go back.

Answer by older at 11:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Soy is bad.

There has been a lot of marketing hype about soy. The soy industry has a huge lobby, and Monsanto's work with the Round-up ready soy bean is paying off big dividends.

Soy has naturally occurring chemicals that work in the body like estrogen. This can cause fertility problems, feminization of men (man- boobs), and weight gain. The "heart healthy" proteins are in many of other unprocessed foods. Get 'em in veggies. Not soy.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/diet.fitness/06/23/soy.danger.wmd/index.html

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Soy is controversial, there is research on both sides proving it can be harmful as well as beneficial. Individual needs vary, just like with anything else...some people can die just from eating a peanut. Do your research. You will not get B-12 from any other source besides meat in your diet, so if you stop eating meat be sure to either take a B complex vitamin or spiruleena which has b-12 and protien in it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree soy is bad.

There are health reasons to eat a vegitarian diet but I wouldn't count on it to cure depression. There are other things you can do if you think talk therapy or antidepressants aren't for you there are alternative therapies. These are recommended by WebMd:

Acupuncture
    Aromatherapy
    Biofeedback
    Chiropractic treatments
    Guided imagery
    Herbal remedies
    Hypnosis
    Massage therapy
    Meditation
    Relaxation
    Yoga

Sunshine is important in the winter. Some people do need antidepressants. Many experts are now saying the healthiest diet contains some meat. We eat natural meat or organic from a store where my son works.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I love all of these people telling you soy is bad! What the hell do they think is in cow's milk??? Soy is a natural product. I have read about estrogen levels in soy but you would literally have to be drinking gallons of soy milk a day to be affected by it. Please if you are serious about becoming a vegetarian, listen to people who know what they are talking about, not meat eaters who refuse to believe there is anything unnatural about eating meat or drinking cow's milk. People that eat meat most often think vegetarinism is bad because they are uneducated about it. You CAN get all your nutrients and vitamins in a vegetarian diet, you just have to do it the right way. Good Luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Soy is a great source of protien. another good source of protien is hemp seeds. They are a little harder to come by. It would be a good idea for you to get a book about vegetarianism to help you out but really as long as you have a GOOD variety of vegetables, fruits and beans you will get all the protien you need. Do you know what kind of vegetarian you want to be? There are a couple of different versions and some will give you more room to breath. Being vegan would probably be the hardest. When I was vegetarian I ate eggs, cheese and drank organic cows milk but that was it. Vegan is no animal product at all, you really have to know what words stand for animal product and keep an eye out in the ingrediant list for those. If you want to you can PM me and I can try to ansere your questions!
    punkomama08

Answer by punkomama08 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• my dd is a vegetarian shes 9 has been since the age of 2, she eats lots of peanut butter drinks milk & juice all day, i don't know where she got this from cause i'll eat a t bone in a second lol, she's NEVER sick she says she will never eat anything that has a mother ~ go figure. shes never ever had a chicken nugget,hot dog,hamburger pep pizza shes very strong willed & i love her for being so disciplined.if a 9yr old can do this you should be able too.  ;) go to your local library & get all the info you'll need. good luck!

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2010