Children of divorce, why do they overreact to everything???

I have noticed that adults that were young when their parents divorced have such issues. I mean get over it what is the big deal, ok you were upset as child and that understandable, but to be bitter about it years later is going to far. I mean these women have major daddy issues and some of them are damn annoying.
Why make eveyone in the entire world pay for the fact that your parents did not last. My parents fought all the time and there were times that my parents almost split, but I just did not see myself trying to kill myself or acting like an ass to get attention because they split. It's over let it go!!! Thoughts???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree
    Anonymous

• I think YOU are the one with issues. YOU have no idea what happened in those families. Worry about yourself and family.

Anonymous

• Gotta agree with anon :`18.
    Anonymous

• I'm a child of divorced parents. My father never wanted a daughter, but he ended up with twin girls. My parents split when I was 2 and the divorce was final when I was 6. As a kid, I was hurt that my father wanted nothing to do with me and only showed up whenever he felt like it to take my sister and I out as a treat. He was granted visitation every weekend, but rarely showed up unless he felt like it. As a kid, you don't understand why, but as you get older, you see things in a new light. Granted, some women still feel like they did something wrong as a kid to cause their parents divorce, but I never did. The only thing I ever did wrong was get born with the wrong parts, apparently. I like being a girl and wouldn't trade it for anything. And I don't bother with my dad, either. If he didn't care when I was a kid, why should I care now? That's how I think it should be, but not everyone is the same. *shrugs*
    Anonymous

• divorce as a child can be a traumatic experience for a child. It shake the foundation, and everything a child knows. Often times parents are so wrapped up in battling it out their children get put on a back burner. Not everyone is able to detach from truama that way. Their sense of safety is taken away, it's not something you just "get over" I had two very close friends who were brother and sister who endured one of the most horrific divorces I have ever born witness to. I mean these kids were used as leverage in fights. They HATED christmas because mom and dad would make such a spectacle of trying to one up each other on gifts that the kids didn't even want to look at the damn stuff. They basically told teh children that their happiness wasn't nearly as important as who was right. My friend commit suicide this summer in his fathers shed. He was 19 years old and hung himself When his father found him at 3:00 in cont
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• in the morning they called the medics and police and then he called his wife and the call went as followed "thomas is dead, he is hanging in our shed, purple, and it's all your fault!" Growing up in an environment like this is not something you just get over and for you to say so means you have either never been a child in the middle of a painful divorce or you have the ability to detach yourself in an extreme way from hurtful situations which may preserve you in the short run but will come back to haunt you in the long run, you need to either grow and heart and learn to be more sensitive or you need to address your OWN divorce issues
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• * ex wife I meant to say
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Wow you sound very angry. That says a lot. What happens to children is that they internalize their pain and their feeling of abandonment and that creates an emotional disorder. It's not something they can outgrow. The legitimate pain is something they deal with every day. This is the reason why it's so important that we choose our mates with care and have the children that are wanted and valued and if the marriage doesn't work then we still give the children the love and attention they deserve letting them know it wasn't their fault the marriage went wrong. So many people just walk away like the children meant nothing to them and for some that is devastating. Many of those can't afford therapy so they deal with the pain on their own. If they think they are the cause of the breakup then that's even harder to deal with for them. So parents love and value your children and keep them from emotional harm. Children are fragile.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I find your post to be insensitive and maybe that's because your parents bickered so damn much when you were a child. Maybe you should seek professional help too.

I don't think that because someone tries to take their life or "acts like an ass"(please define acts like an ass....as you fit the description quite well here) is trying to gain attention. Most times a person who tries to commit suicide is looking for help NOT attention. And those women in bad relationships that you speak of who have daddy issues have them because of something traumatic, as katie pointed out, when they were younger. they were missing something in their lives that, subconsciously, they are trying to fill the void by choosing bad men or life choices. It's a psychological issue, not one that someone can simply "get over it" in a magical moment. It's a serious issue. And an issue, apparently, you don't understand and probably never will.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I am truley offeneded by this. My sisters and I are children of divorce and we all three have grown to be successful adults and great wifes. I figure it would be better than hid in your room all day listening to your parents fight, (that would make me have issues) or see your father cheat with other women all the time.
    Anonymous