Is daycare a good idea?

Im considering putting my 2 year old in daycare. He spends all day with myself and his little brother. We dont know many kids his age. Hes started to get really frustrated and lash out alot lately, besides the act that hes 2. So i though that maybe if i put him in daycare so he can learn and play with other little ones his age, it might help him out . He could make friends and have alot of fun.

What is your opinion? DId daycare help your little one?
Whats things i should look for when picking a daycare.

sep_10_07

Asked by sep_10_07 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont know why some people on here are so against daycare. i have both my little ones in daycare. they are 1 and 2 yrs old. both of my girls love their teachers, love their friends, and i have noticed it has helped their speech skills. i have to work full time and i go to school part time. my husband is away for military reasons right now, so daycare was my only option. if your child doesnt have to be there as much as mine do, then dont leave them there all day 5 days a week. mine go 4 days for 8 hours on those days. my 2 year old evn asks me on my days off if she gets to play with her friends the next day. they are both good girls, both very well behaved, and both very sociable because of daycare. i do wish i could have more time with them, but if you dont work full time or go to school, you wont be in this situation. try it out, and if you dont like it after a week, try something else
    ashlyh123

Answer by ashlyh123 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Personally, I would never put my son in daycare. However, if you think it's a good idea, it's up to you. Maybe just try it for a couple of days a week, for a few hours. I don't think putting him in daycare for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week is right if he doesn't need to be there.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• no i was thinking 2-3 a week for half days like 8 till 12. Just a quick question why would you not put your child in daycare?
    sep_10_07

Answer by sep_10_07 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I was really reluctant to put my son in daycare. I went and toured all of the daycare's in our town until I found one that I felt comfortable with. Look for clean facilities, plenty of teachers (check online for local/state regulations. There should never be fewer teachers than the regulations state) look at the menus that will be served, check out the safety precautions set in place, ask the teacher or director about what your child will be learning. If possible, find some other parents that have kids in daycare and ask their suggestions, even in the grocery line, if you see a parent with a kid your son's age just ask. If you have the means to be able to put him in and plan on sending him to a public or private school (as opposed to homeschooling) then getting him into a classroom type setting now may make him more comfortable once that time comes.
    okeefe11

Answer by okeefe11 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i have a friend that did just that for her son, he is now three.. just one day a week for a couple of hours to try and help him with his social skills.

I am currently thinking about the same thing for my son who is 2, but will most likely wait untill next year and enroll him in preschool instead, he is already advanced with some things and i think would get bored if in your run of the mill daycare for too long.

Things to look for:
    cleanliness, how well the kids are supervised, discipline techniques, ask about certification w/ state you can also call to see if they have add in reports or problems w/state, set activities, the schedule they have for the kids, interview some of the workers just not the owner/operator.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Based on my own personal experience, you might want to first consider an in-home daycare for your son. That is what I did with my 2 y/o girls and it worked great. A licensed in-home daycare is going to have a much better adult to child ratio. The setting is also more family-oriented which might be easier for your son to transition into since he is currently used to staying home with you. I had a good relationship with my daycare provider and it was nice to know I could always get a thorough run-down of my girls' day directly from her rather than call and leave messages at a facility and possibly have to wait to get a question answered until the next day. Good luck with your search!
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Find a good school that has a preschool curriculum. Bigger churches tend to have good programs, and many of them take a secular approach. I don't think it's bad if you think he needs the socialization. Play groups and Mother's Day Out programs are another great way to go!
    Anonymous

• I would never put my child in daycare if I could help it. Can you try to find him some activity, like swimming or gymnastics? A little activity where he might make a friend or two to have play dates with?

Daycares...there are good ones...there are bad ones...you can't judge until after you make the mistake of your child being in there.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 1:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• no i was thinking 2-3 a week for half days like 8 till 12. Just a quick question why would you not put your child in daycare? "

Well, for starters, I've known a lot of kids who have been in daycare, and they always seem to be constantly sick. It's not only "dirty" daycares that have this problem either. My friend has a son hat is my son's age, and he is in daycare. While my son has never been sick, her son has been sick FOUR times already, all things which he has contracted from other children in his daycare. He's not on breathing treatments for something he caught there.My son is exposed to people and germs, but not on that level. When he goes to school, I'll have to deal with it, but while he's still do young, I'm not willing to risk it. I also have a problem with him being too young to tell me if he was mistreated, and that DOES happen at some places. It's a decision I made before I had him to never send him to daycare.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• He's now* on breathing treatments
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2010