My 6 year old wont eat anything!!! Can anyone help?

My 6 year old son wont eat but a slecet few things. He eats Fries, but no other potatos. He eats chicken nuggets but no other chicken. He will eat hamburger if it is ground up in spaggetti but no other way. He will eat Grilled cheese or Peanut Butter and jelly but no other sandwiches. Macaroni and spaggetti but no other pasta, no veggies and very few fruit. I have tried bribing him, force feeding him, sending him to bed with nothing and grounding. He would rather be punished than eat. He will literally vomit in his plate if you make him eat. His doctors say he is healthy and he will grow out of it but now my 4 year old daughter is picking up on his bad eating habits and doesnt want to eat things she doesnt like either. Any Suggestions?

erica1228p

Asked by erica1228p at 11:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him what you want him to eat and nothing else. He'll eat what you put in front of him when he gets hungry enough. Quit giving him chicken nuggets and macaroni, give him the meal that you have prepared and if he refuses to eat it, oh well, I guess he'll just have to be hungry until he makes up his mind he's going to eat. Trust me, when his belly starts growling, you could give him liver and onions and he'll eat it.Don't back down, he won't starve. As far as the vomiting on his plate goes, I'd light his rear end up so much he won't be able to sit for a week, that is disgusting and shows a HUGE lack of discipline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• I agree with the above posted except if he vomits then he must go to bed because he is sick. He will get tired of spending the evenibg in bed and will stop.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 3:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Try making homemake chicken nuggets they are better for him then the store ones. Also put veggies in the spaghetti sauce just grind them up he will never know. maybe try different veggies with dip that helps my kids eat them. Good luck I hope he out grows it.
    kristie190

Answer by kristie190 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Try including him in making meals. That way he can see that there is nothing more than just that food - kids love to be in the kitchen and love to help cook. I remember when I was young, I loved to help peal potatoes, grate cheese, and so on. See if that will help.

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 7:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• It may sound mean, but it is totally true. Fix what you want for dinner, tell him that is what everyone is eating and then leave him be. Do not let him throw it away, but do not force him to eat. He will eat when he is hungry, just do not give in and let him have something else. This is a control issue and every time that you give him exactly what he wants you are only reinforcing his thinking that he can get whatever he wants. He will not starve, but you have to teach him that he has to eat what you say because you know better. Good luck and hang in there.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• I can't agree more with the above posts. Why so many parents try to make meal time about what the child wants it beyond me. Allowing such behavior is setting the stage for a lot more manipulation. I see this in my young nephew----I can't believe how he is catered too. It is time to be the parent and not the friend. I tell young mothers--you HAVE to be the parent when they are young if you want to be the friend when they are older. It is tough when you are in the midst of such behavior but please take the above advice---set the food in front of him and tell him he has one choice--to eat it or go hungry. You may be in for some extreme bahvior but hang tough--and win this battle:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2008

• If he doesn't eat what you make, wrap in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. When he complains he's hungry -- reheat the dinner/lunch you made. When you *do* make the things he likes add more to them -- there are lots of recipe tricks out there to "sneak" in more variety. Like adding a piece of smoked ham to a grilled cheese sandwhich, or making an egg and grilled cheese sandwhich. In our house, I also don't let my son have his "drink" until he's eaten at least half of his dinner. What I found was he would fill up on fluids and avoid eating. That helped a ton.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• I agree with the other moms about giving him whatever you are having at dinner. My son is 7 and healthy and sometimes he just doesn't feel like eating. So we wrap it up stick it in the fridge and he eats it for lunch/dinner the next day or until the plate is gone. They also only get water to drink with dinner. My kids wouldn't eat anything either til they learned that what was put in front of them was all they were going to get. No way would vomiting in their plates fly here. They would be cleaning it up and then going to bed. They would still have to eat whatever it was the next day
    petalpowermom

Answer by petalpowermom at 1:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• A muffin is a way to get fruits and vegies in him...may not be the most ideal but at least it is something. As for you little one..nip this in the bud now. You are not a short order cook. They will eat if they get hungry enough. The doc is right if he is healthy he may grow out of it. They can live on one tsp of food per day per year they are old.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• We have the exact same problem with my 7 yr old step-son. And oddly enough, with the exact same foods and even with it starting to wear off on the 3 yr old too. He gags and makes himself throw up when he's "forced" to try something new too. I'll try some of the suggestions I've seen here along with what we usually do like making sure he gets the vitamins he needs through kids vitamins, 100% juice with no added sugar, fruit and even veggie smoothies, and hiding veggies and healthy stuff in foods he does like whenever we can. I switched from white to "white wheat" bread and started blending veggies into the spaghetti sauce. It's very frustrating. I feel your pain :(
    janie123

Answer by janie123 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2008