Does anyone else have a problem with all of this money that we DON'T HAVE going to Haiti?

I feel terrible for these people, I truly do. I am myself donating a ton of clothing, food, and hygiene products. However, I do not think it is a smart to send at least a $100 million that we do NOT have to them. We can't rescue everyone. It's only making our huge national debt even larger. Are we supposed to keep giving and giving until our own country is in such bad shape that we are the ones needing rescued? At some point compassion has to be limited in order to take care of our own country, whether that is ideal or not!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have to agree with the OP as well. I understand sending some aid and supplies, but sending such a large sum of money wasn't a responsible decision. We are giving away more than we have to give. It would be great if our country could afford it, but we can't, and there is no debating that. I also don't like how no other country ever steps up to the plate like the United States does. Yes, other countries are giving some, but they never give nearly as much as we do. Then again, maybe their leaders are a lot smarter than ours. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the truth.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The money has already been budgeted for, no use crying about it now.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• No, Stacymomof2, the money has not been "budgeted for". How do you figure? Please explain.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you, I do not think that amount of money should be going to them. It actually kinda makes me mad that we are sending it.
    Anonymous

• I agree too, OP. You know, what people aren't realizing is that their country seriously didn't look much better before the earthquake. I hope everyone is also aware that the majority of Haitians hate the United States. I bet they won't have any problem taking out handouts though, will they?
    Anonymous

• I have a problem with money going to war.

If we can help these people with medical aid it seems like we could do something to help Americans with medical problems that they have not been able to afford to get care for. There are volunteer groups that go to cities and do this and people line up for days in hope they get a turn. People without glasses, teeth, need surgery, ect.

I have had a foot problem that Medicaid has been paying huge bills for for over 20 years that could be corrected by a 20 min surgery that Medicaid won't pay for. I'm disabled and on SSI. In many states Medicaid won't pay for eye care or dental care. Then there are the people that can't get Medicaid but can't afford medical care. My employed son's deductable and copays are too high for him to get care. His income is too high for sliding fee clinics.
    Anonymous

• Excellent point, Anon 1:09, and I'm sorry for your situation.
    Anonymous

• i agree with you, that printing money to send to a war torn country, that we don't have is not a responsible financial decision.

i do feel sorry for all those who have been devastated by the earthquake, i also dont agree with sending massive amounts of money to a country that doesn't even have a govt in place to handle such and effort, the USA will end up having to take over the decision making process for the country.

It is an extremely violent country as well, which is already being shown by the Gangs who are looting the area and wielding matcheties at anyone who crosses their path....these are not the same type of looters we saw in katrina, these are violent gangs that will end up monopolizing any aid that is sent if there is not a police force in place to stop them.

gangs armed with machetes loot
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It isn't smart to send money to the corrupt government that has allowed generations of people to live in squalor.

I am for helping, but not with a load of cash. The people that need it will never see it, just as they haven't seen the boatloads of money they have been receiving for years.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Oh, the "budgeted" thing is hilarious!! I could put a boob lift and 5 star vacation into my budget, that doesn't necessarily mean there will be money to pay for it. Our government doesn't run on a balanced budget does it?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2010