What and when are you teaching your kids about sex and bullying, protecting themselves?

I have two daughters and one son - I have a lot of loved ones who've had miscarriages - I've told my girls from even before they got their periods that the monthly bleeding might someday mean they'll have a baby. i've also tried to teach them that if a boy or girl hurts them in their heart not only makes them mad, then that's wrong and they should share that.

And sharing it with me doesn't mean that I'll go and kick but it can mean that they become aware of words to take away someone's own frustration or anger. Sometimes just being aware that we're all different and can be in a bad mood, allow someone a bad day can be a way to handle something.

But most of all that if something said or done to them or another brings a lot of sadness, fright right away with anger or, actually, without anger, to share that with me.

3 kids 25 years since my oldest was born and we're still pretty comfortable talking with each other.

lfl

Asked by lfl at 1:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• My kids are adults and say they always knew about sex. I was led breastfeeding and childbirth classes when they were young and did phone crisis counseling from home. We homeschooled and I was in grad school. One of my master's degrees was in health science and one of my doctoral minors was in sexuality and I took enough courses to do sex counseling. Books were always laying around that had sex info. I always answered questions.

When you homeschool bullying and protecting yourself is less of an issue. They learned good communication skills and how to avoid conflict. How to recognize a bad situation and walk away. That's what I modeled.

Any of my 3 sons would protect someone if they had to but now they are all over 6' and they have always been able to resolve issues by talking. One son is a nurse and worked psych and he can even talk to drunk, drugged and crazy people.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010