What should I register for?

Hello. My husband and I are registering for baby shower's and as first time parents, we are completely overwhelmed. I was wondering specific brands for things that should be on registry, and why. For example: We looked at Pacifiers. There are a million different types of pacifiers! How do we know which to register for? What are a few of your favorite baby items?
Thanks for your help!

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 1:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Check the product recall lists. There are websites where you can type in items and it'll check for you. DH is insane about recall lists.

All plastics should be BPA free.

Visit product review websites. Parent Tested Parent Approved Award has a website that is good.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Register for things you don't mind others picking out ... because some people will look at what you registered for then go find something "similar" that may be cheaper. If there is something specific you know you are going to be picky about such as "nipples' or a certain bottle" then don't add it.

Otherwise include everything you can think of that you might need so people have a good variety to choose from. Some people like Grandparents may buy larger more expensive things and other people, like co-workers may want to get you a little something but not spend more than $20 or so.

Good luck!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 1:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• And do NOT buy Rockland Brand nursery furniture. Your DH will be in tears assembling it. The dresser took 5 hours.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• go with the othro approved pacifiers, my son didn't like them at all so i only bought two i think.

I prefer luvs diapers over any other brand...huggies and pampers explode easily, though i did use pampers when my son was a newborn, because they had the premie size.

I wouldn't have made it through the first 3 months without a swing, my son was colic and HAD to be in motion 24/7 or else he would scream.

i also love my graco pack and play with the bassinet and changing table...it was great to have out in the living room so i could have my son laying in it while i did other work.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Think about your color scheme. Go through the store and try to stick with the color scheme for your nursery. There are SO many different kinds of car seats, strollers, high chairs, pack n plays, etc. Go to the store and use them. Look over each item as if its yours. The Graco stroller system is great for a stroller/car seat but know you need to buy the base for the carseat seperate. High chairs, look for one that isn't too big, that takes up a lot of space, one that would be easy to clean. Young children are messy! Pack n plays, don't get the extra's, just the pack n play. Strollers, use one. Look at what storage it has, a cup holder, easy to open and close. The furniture there is over priced (babies r us) go elsewhere for that. Good luck, basically it takes hours to go and make the registry. Try to enjoy it. but do use the bigger stuff and make sure you understand how it works, if it needs assembly or not.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 2:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Pack N Play
    Swing
    Clothes up to 3-6 months
    Diapers
    Any furniture you don't already have or plan on getting yourself
    Diaper Bag if you don't have one or don't plan on getting one
    The list goes on; if you go to the Target site and register there, they will send you this book with their current baby stuff organized by usage/area, and it includes a checklist to use as a guideline for registering and shopping. Plus, you can always ask for gift cards to get the specific items you want.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Don't beg for gifts; it is so crass
    Anonymous

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with creating a baby registry. I think some guests love to use registries either as a way to gain ideas or because they have no idea what someone might want/like for their baby. Don't be surprised if most people do not use your registry for their gifts, though.

Personally I wouldn't worry about a highchair because you won't be using for awhile, and unless you have extra storage space, it will take up some room. I also wouldn't worry about registering for baby clothes unless there is a really special outfit that you would like to bring baby home from the hospital in or something you just adore. People love to look through baby clothes and choose outfits they like. Most likely you will receive a lot of baby clothes.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 8:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Items you may want:
    a baby carrier (sling, wrap or backpack style) We have the Bjorn and love it! I can still carry our 9 month old son in the carrier, and it doesn't hurt my back.
    bottles (We love the Advent bottles for our little guy)
    crib bedding/mobile
    baby bath (my baby loved having baths in the sling...we have the aquarium bathtub with sling)
    receiving blankets
    burp cloths
    hooded towels/wash cloths
    changing pad/cover
    baby wash/shampoo/lotions (this allows people to know which brand you prefer)
    dirty diaper bags (they are small plastic bags you put the dirty diapers in so they don't stink up the trash can...we didn't have space for a diaper genie/champ, so we used these. They were great for the house as well as on the go.)
    swing (We love the cradle swing because our son loved swinging side to side but not front to back)
    bouncer seat
    Halo sleep sacks (great for the colder weather instead of a blanket)<
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 9:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Thank you everyone for the great tips.
    (Except for the "anonymous" bitch who always has something negative to say to every question asked on this site.)
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 9:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2010