What should one weair to an interview?

I am interviewing at a pet store and plan on wearing khaki pants and a nice shirt by my boyfriend thinks I should dress up more. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Remember .. you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    Most people interviewing are going to wear jeans or khaki's because they think "it's just a Pet store so how dressed up do I have to be" .... but you should wear nice slacks and blouse and maybe even a blazer. That will make you stand out from the jeans and khaki folks.

BF is right.

I am a hiring mgr and have seen it all.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree. Dress so that the person interviewing you knows you are serious, neat, and mature. Ok, it's a pet store, but not to the people who own it. To them, it's their livelihood. If it is a chain, it is still serious business to them. Pet owners are serious about their pets especially those that go to a specialty store like that. Good luck.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Always dress a level above the job you are applying for. Slacks, blouse, nice shoes, make-up light, etc. Nothing super fancy, but khaki translates into casual in wrok clothes speak, and you don't want that. Also be sure you know basic info about the pet store and all the animals they carry- the less the owners think they have to teach you the more likely they are to want to hire you. Good luck!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Try black trousers (not necessarily super dressy), a nice light colored button down shirt with a coordinating sweater or cardigan. I would stay away from a high-heel because that may come off as too high-maintenance for the job (I'm sure you're going to have to get down and dirty with animals!). Although you could do a nice khaki-colored or tan colored trouser for an interview, black pants are just a classic professional piece to an interview outfit.

I cannot stress to groom yourself well! I've seen applicants come in with their hair looking like a mess or half polished nails - for upper management level positions no less!! Trust me, the little things matter when you're making a first impression. Take the extra step to make yourself looked polished, and it will pay off!!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 2:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I would not dress up. I was told to dress as if you were going to go to work. I think you will be dressed appropriately and it will be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Hopefully this won't be your last job/interview of your life and you will move on after you (hopefully) get this job. So my advice is to follow the previous advice of wearing trousers/slacks and a shirt that's not snug or showing any cleavage. Don't wear super bright colors. pastels n neutrals. make sure shirt has sleeves, preferably nothing less than 3/4 sleeve. Oh n pants should be fitted not tight where they hug your booty from the bottom. They should fall over the booty. Don't wear excessive jewlery. One pair of earings (no bigger than a quarter). Natural make-up, (be sure to wear make-up)

Gotta go, baby woke up!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Great advice above. I just want to add, as soon as you get home, send a handwritten thank you note.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• clothes! HA just kidding. Suits are always good and professional. Make sure you are ironed and lint free. Shoes should be appropriate and CLEAN, not too high if you wear heels.

GL
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Listen to them and do dress up. I hope you get the job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2010