want to do this better this time

so, my son who is 4, has been horrible at staying with me in public...i have to hold his wrist the whole time and cannot trust him to stay by me. he likes to veer away and not come back when i call .my daughter is 16 months and always wants to walk in stores. my question is, how can i do a better job this time around and teach her to stay by me while we walk? it will really make my life better if i can teach her this

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 2:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can start off slow .. for example every time you go out to the car, or from car to house they have to hold on to you (your shirt, you hand, your pants leg whatever...) Practice this even if you have to "pretend" to go to the car and back. Then you can eventually get them to do this in stores.

If they don't come to you when they are called then leave the store immediately .. this may be a bit inconvenient for you at first, but they will realize that you are serious. AND if you have something in your shopping cart for them, then put it back and buy it later.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• thats a good idea, but will a 16 month old understand why we are leaving? maybe she will get it after a while, or is there maybe something more immediant i could do like...i have tried to carry her if she doesnt stay with me because she wants to walk...but that didnt really work
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree, if they refuse to come, tell them you will leave, that way you won't have to stand there yelling and trying to get the kid to listen. My 6 year old will take the 4 year old off into the candy bar aisle without me, and I get furious. When i buy the candy for her, I get in the car, take the candy from her, and tell her why she cannot have it. Believe it or not, she is better at staying with me,but my parents always tell me to drop the girls off before grocery shopping, their afraid of how the six year old wonders off.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• In the grocery store, I get to touch things, so do my kids. We try to leave everything as it was/should be, not to pick things up usually. Get them to help. "Can you help me find 4 oranges? One...Two...Now lets weigh them"
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010