how can i do better this time?

so, my son who is 4, has been horrible at staying with me in public...i have to hold his wrist the whole time and cannot trust him to stay by me. he likes to veer away and not come back when i call .my daughter is 16 months and always wants to walk in stores. my question is, how can i do a better job this time around and teach her to stay by me while we walk? it will really make my life better if i can teach her this

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 2:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know kids want to walk. There are just some places they can't. They can learn that and sit in a stroller or cart. The toddler can be in a sling or carrier. There are the leashes (they have a better name) for kids if you are all ok with that.

You can teach your 4 year old to come when you call. I have a 16 mo grandson and we have been amazed with the things we have been able to train him. I have been training dogs for years and we have trained him with some of the methods Karen Pryor has used with people, dolphins, and dogs. She has a new book out I recently read called Reaching the Animal Brain. It's about people too.

My grandson comes, won't touch the pool water, won't step off the sidewalk to go near the street, and other things mostly without saying a word to him. Stop or no always works. He fetches, a great dog park trick. He loves it, he does have a lab mix dog he is alway with.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• so.... any tips on how you got your 16month old grandbaby to do these things?
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i know she can sit in a stroller and all that, or a leash...but i want her to learn to walk with me so that she will do it when she is 2 and 3....because my son would not. and it was so hard to go anywhere
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• its not really a problem now...i just want to prevent a future one
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• For our son it was never an option to veer off. It was a good time for him to learn cause and effect and consequence. There are times when I am lenient more so than dad and more than I should be but when it comes to his safety there was never any leeway. He wanted to snatch away and run across the street but he had to learn there was no negotiating when it came to the street. I told him why it was important and he learned the consequence when he didn't listen. When he is walking independently now and I say we are about to cross the street he automatically gives me his hand. The consequence depends on your household and your child. Whatever your children loathe like putting their nose on the wall for timeout, no dessert or phone time with nana or a swat on the hand - each child responds to different things.

Your daughter might need you to tell her the reason why, she may understand the 1st time that it is important
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 2:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• We used a harness

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010