Christians: How do you know if it is God telling you?

I have a fairly big decision to make in the next few months. I have been praying and praying about it. Everything seems to be pointing and leading in the direction to take on this new challenge. However, there is that little doubt. I don't know if that is God telling me to think harder or just my own fears of heading towards the unknown

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If it's a clear strong message then it's God at least that's what I am being told. Ask God for a verse to help you :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I've had so many doubts about the good of prayers specifically to make a decision go one way or another. Finally friends have reassured me that conversatons with God not only prayers for resolution of specifics are good too.

Now when I pray and I'm just struggling I pray for God's hands to guide me to rest and peace. Sometimes it still takes me a long tme to get there. But asking for rest in my heart, my mind help me to actually rest and think more clearly.

Also I've found that working on keeping my HANDS busy with different activities clears my mind to resolve troubles. Lots of times my troubles are not resolved as I'd hoped or needed. But still rest and peace come because the fight in me and sometimes with another, is lessened or stops because I've realized God's words to me are choices for a better life. Not only a choice for a better time.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• doubt doesnt come from God . Thats the first clue:-) If you feel a check in your spirit that is different. Sometimes God wants us to step out and trust Him too :-) The direction sounds clear.. follow it and trust HIM. Bless you and your journey!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• God is always clear, we may try to make something fit our desires but God will send messages even if giving you the gut feeling or telling you in a dream hasn't gotten to you. Signs and wonders... At the end of the day though we still have free will so He won't stop you from doing it your way even if its not His way so pray for discernment and then pray for peace and let it go and give it to Him.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 2:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If it's in line with the Word of God then it's from Him. If not, then it's from the world

Answer by admckenzie at 2:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Sometimes it helps to follow Gideon's example and "throw out the fleece" (Judges chapter 6:11-17; 36-40). Continue to move (prayerfully!) in the direction in which you are wanting to go. Ask Him to close the door if it is not within His will for you.Continue to pray and trust Him. (Proverbs 3:6; Proverbs 16:9; Isaiah 30:21; Isaiah 42:16) You have my prayers.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• God is always clear
    -----------
    I have found that sometimes God causes the way to be unclear because He desires us to seek Him more deeply,diligently. (Hebrews 11:6; Jeremiah 29:13). He takes us down many twists and turns in the road so that we may draw nearer to Him as we seek His will for our lives. We easily get caught up in the temporal things, often forgetting that His goal is eternity. He cares about all that concerns us, and we can take comfort in the fact that He makes everything work for good.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• "doubt doesnt come from God"

So if you (general you) are planning to rob a bank or commit some other crime for say a theoretically "good" reason (saving a life, protecting your family/child, whatever), and start to doubt that you should go through with it after all, you (specific you) would not consider that doubt from god?

Hmm...maybe this should be its own question.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• So if you (general you) are planning to rob a bank or commit some other crime for say a theoretically "good" reason (saving a life, protecting your family/child, whatever), and start to doubt that you should go through with it after all, you (specific you) would not consider that doubt from god?
    -----------------
    LOL!!!
    Anonymous

• "Whether you turn to the right or to the left,
    your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying,

'This is the way; walk in it." 

( Isaiah 30:21)
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2010