What's the point of doing this?

My friend texted me 2 days ago to see if I wanted to come to her daughter's birthday party. I called her yesterday and said that I would like to come, but I would have to come a couple hours early (with my 18 month old) and then I would have no ride home. She said that it would be fine if I came early or that she could even pick me up and that taking me home was not an issue at all. Well, my daughter and I were ready this morning and I call her. No answer. I then text letting her know, if she doesn't respond by 12:50 that I wasn't coming because my dh has to leave for work and after that I will be without a car. Just in case, I had him the leave the car seat. Well, it is now 2:30 and I still haven't heard a single word. Why do people make plans and then completely disregard them? It really hurts my feelings. This isn't the first time I have been "dissed." Why seek me out, just to do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hate that with a PASSION!!!!!
    My DH's friends do stuff like that all the time. It's irritatiing as heck...and down right RUDE.
    It takes a few seconds to make a quick phone call....sick or not. ( sorry if that sounds harsh...just how I feel)
    Sorry it happened to ya Mama.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 2:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Ps. She knows we only have one car and that he works on weekends. If driving me home was an inconvenience, than she should have mentioned that yesterday.
    Anonymous

• Maybe the birthday girl is freaking out about something or sick, maybe the mommy's sick.

When you get the car, just leave the gift at her door and leave.

You graciousness is far more important in this world than her rudeness.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You said that you have been "dissed" before. Was this by the same person. If so, maybe you might want to have a discussion with her about how you feel. Maybe she really isn't the friend that you want. I have a friend that invites people to her parties only because she doesn't want to hurt feelings. But then complains about them when they come or don't come. Is this the type of friend you want for your child? But on the other side... maybe she got so overwhelmed with pre-party activities that she forgot to pick you up. And then when you called and/or texted, she was totally embarrassed. She might be trying to not communicate because she is upset with herself. Either way, you need to be gracious and give the gift to her child. The issue is with the parent.

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 2:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My husband was going to drop us off. I wasn't trying to be as little of an inconvenience as possible. My daughter is only a toddler and hers is 6, so they're not "friends" really. If she hadn't invited me to the party, I honestly wouldn't have known the difference either way, so it wasn't to "not hurt my feelings." Besides, the party doesn't even start until 4-----she could still even call me now and at least say something. You're right, who needs a friend like this? I always end up with the shitty friends who disappear once they have boyfriends and only want you around when it's convenient for them. I am a SAHM and all of my GOOD friends and I keep in contact, but live very far away from each other now. I could really just cry. I wouldn't even know how to make new friends now. I guess I just won't even answer their calls anymore. Why set myself up just to get let down again? I can be lonely without disappointment
    Anonymous

• * I WAS trying to be as little of an inconvenience as possible
    Anonymous

• I hate that - people like that are not worth wasiting time on, I learned as my son got older. I had a friend that did this kind of thing all the time, and forget about my feelings - I had to deal with my son being upset because her n her son didnt show ect.
    Its rude and thoughtless
    Sorry you had a rough morn
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• She should have called you either way. She should have told you if she thought it was not doable in the first place.

She was wrong. I would just stop going to events she is having because it obviously not important to her if you are there or not.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I know way too many people that do the same type of thing. DH's family is notorious for initiating plans and then never following through. They are the most unreliable people I have ever met. It really gets under my skin, though I know I should disregard it. Seeing as I know they're going to do it nearly every time. They also initiate the possibility of plans then say "I'll call you". They rarely call. Rarely. I grew up in a family where if plans were made they were kept, and if they couldn't be kept them someone would call to let us know that plans changed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I will never understand some women. It was a rude thing to do to you. Drop her she is no friend. I apologize on her behalf.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2010