what age can I introduce strawberries?

I heard it's pretty allergen and we already found out our DS is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is the child? I would wait until at least 2 then if you already found things he is allergic to my aunt gave my DD some for the first time when she was 6 months old I let her do it cause she has kids twin girls 13 years old and a son at 9 years so she I guess would know what she is doing, but my DD also isn't allergic to anything that we know of she loved them, but if he is allergic to other things i would wait until 2, but that is just me.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I let my daughter try strawberries at 8 months old, but she doesn't have any allergies. What you could do, since he already has several allergies, is to request that your pediatrician do an allergy panel.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Since there's a history of allergies, you should definitely proceed with caution. Maybe start off with just a half of a strawberry, and wait 48 hours to see if your son is having an allergic reaction. My doc gave me the okay to give my DD strawberries when she was 6 mo., but like the previous poster, my DD isn't allergic to any foods we know of. She loves strawberries, and they're filled with lots of nutrients!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 2:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• raw strawberries right? he"s been tested for allergies already, and that's how we discovered this reactions to peanuts, milk and eggs...He;s 13 months old...I guess I could try the strawberries, but like redmoonintexas says, just give him a tiny piece at first...thanks for answering. :)
    Anonymous

• My daughter was 2.5 when she first had a strawberry. She ended up being allergic to them so no strawberries for her. I gave my son some at 18 months but he didn't like them and didn't really eat it so I don't know if he's allergic or not. And for the record...I gave them the berries on the same day. I was eating them and they wanted some. I posted about it on my facebook and my BIL responded to me telling me that my hubby was allergic to them around that age too...whoops. Hubby didn't know he used to allergic to them.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I gave my son strawberries when he turned a year old. He has had no adverse reactions.
    Whether the child has a negative effect is different based on the individual child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Since he has a history of food allergies, I would wait until past his second birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My kids eat strawberries and they are 18 months.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2010