How do I stop my son from shaking milk out of his bottle at every feeding? Why won't he get used to sippy cups?

My son is going to be a year old in 3 weeks and still uses a bottle with a nipple. He won't try a sippy cup for drinking just thinks it is a toy. But more frustrating than the impossible transition to the sippy cup is his bottle habits. He is shaking his milk all over the place. Shakes that bottle up and down and round and round. Milk is everywhere but in his belly! He hs been feeding himself bottles since 6 months, why is he all of a sudden thinking his bottle is a squirt gun? I tried only offering him sippy cups unless it was his bedtime bottle and then he was starving and crabby. Help! How do i turn lunch back to lunch and not playtime!:(

Any tips for kicking the pacifier are welcome too!:) Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's exploring his world. He's learning. Yes it's sloppy but it can be cleaned up easily. If it bothers you then take the bottle away from him when he does that.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Hold him and feed him. It is recommended that babies be held when they are bottle fed to make up for what they are missing by not being breastfed.

Let him have the pacifier. According to most authorities it will cause no harm. He still has sucking needs until he is 2 or 3 or maybe even older.

Directions for a low mess cup used by disabled kids:
    Get a Tupperware bell tumbler with a "seal" lid, take a regular hole punch and make one hole in the lid, take the lid and go to the hardware store and find the bulk tubing used for water to go to freezer automatic ice makers, make sure it fits through hole, buy several feet (very cheap), put lid on cup and cut tubing to length as straw, very easy to drink from, only drops spill out when dropped.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• lol - thinig at a time, dont try to tackle the pacie and the bottle all at once
    give him a sippy with water in it all day long - litterally, while he is awake there is a sippy, he should eventually drink from it at which point you can toss the bottle

later after this is done try cutting the tips of the pacies, they cant suck with no tip, makes them mad, cuz its useless
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• my son is using the sippy cup fully now but shakes the sippy cup to make a mess. He likes to play in the spilled milk. He turned 1 years old 2.5 weeks ago. Started doing the shaking his bottle and cup at about 11.5 months. I know its just an exploring thing, and it will pass with time and correction. Just keep working with your lil one. Eventually your lil one will take a sippy cup.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My kids liked their bottles til they were about 16 months. I tried offering sippies but they hated them until then. Every kid is different and really...who cares if your kid still has a bottle?? Just recently I found sippies that they liked. They have spouts made of the same kind of rubber as nipples so it wasn't a huge transition and now they love their sippies. All the expensive ones failed lol..it was a cheap $3 one from Shoppers they liked at first.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Try giving him a sippy whenever you feed him. I am generally anti-juice since it is just wasted calories, but it does have its purpose in trying to get little one to figure out a sippy cup. More of a reward for getting it to work then water or milk.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010