How much help did the US recieve after Katrina compared to what we are offering now to Haiti?

I was passed this link and it really made me re-think how I thought about things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 3:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Like I said, charity may start at home, but when a neighbor is in need, we must immediately address that need. I hope the world gives to Haiti as much as they gave to the region of our country that needed help.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• An article in the April 29, 2007 Washington Post claimed that of the $854 million offered by foreign countries, whom the article dubs "allies," to the US Government, only $40 million of the funds had been spent "for disaster victims or reconstruction" as of the date of publication (less than 5%).[49] Additionally, a large portion of the $854 million in aid offered went uncollected, including over $400 million in oil (almost 50%).[49] [edit] See also Hurricane Katrina disaster relief

WOW! are those numbers true???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• And lets be honest, Haiti is starting from a much worse position than NO after Katrina.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Sweet I think we all know the answer to your question: YES
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Holy crap!! So why wasn't the rest collected???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Not to mention the millions taken in fraud by American people who didn't even qualify for it.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Bush didn't take what Cuba offered because we don't like Cuba. I thought at the time that it was so stupid. Cuba knows what its like to have hurricains. It would have been a chance to be more friendly with Cuba. No, the great US said no thanks to Cuba.

The whole Katrina disaster was a disaster. We could have gotten so much more help but we didn't take it or we upset people wanting to help us.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think we need to stop worrying about everyone else and help our own people. Did everyone forget how terrible this country is doing right now? Do you know how many AMERICAN families we could help with that same amount of money?????????
    Anonymous

• The idea that we shouldn't help Haiti simply because these other countries didn't help us is just ignorant! As Americans, even American's after a tragedy like Katrina, we have every advantage. Clean water, public schools, homeless shelters... The Haitians didn't have these things BEFORE their lives were crushed. I will ALWAYS support those in need, but in this case I think the need is greater because it isn't the US...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The idea that we shouldn't help Haiti simply because these other countries didn't help us is just ignorant!

But they DID help us! More than $850 MILLION worth ...and after 9/11 many did as well/....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2010