Lets demystify some recipes here

What are some things you make that you always thought would be too much work or take too much skill until you tried making them from scratch and learned otherwise?

I grew up thinking French Onion soup was only for special occasions at fancy restaurants (though a lot more of them offer it now than used to), so I figured it must take a lot of work to make. Once we tried making our own it turned into a staple at our house. I think it's probably one of the easiest (near impossible to screw up) and cheapest meals we make, and a batch always makes enough to have leftovers for days.

What else is easier than it looks?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Lasagna I was so intimidated by all the prep work that I never tried making it till last year now I make it every few months.Same with Beef Bougnion(sp?) my mom used to make it for special occasions and when she finally gave me her recipe it was super easy and just as delicious as I remembered..
    Anonymous

• Thanksgiving dinner. My son could make turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, & corn casserole by himself when he was 16. He makes it several times a year. He lets me do the pumpkin pie.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• honestly don't know.

I give everything a try at least once.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Home made buns or bread - and I'm not talking about bread machines here. I remember it taking forever when my mom made it, but really it only take about 3 hours from start to finish and you're not actually doing anything during most of those 3 hours.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• thanks giving is a good one! My mom would always make some sort of extravagant dessert, and cry about how much work it is, and i would make it and figure out what a breeze it actually was!
    Anonymous

• im gonna have to say carmel rolls...it takes hours but once i did it and knew how to make it, it does take a long time BUT its more waiting then making it so honestly...its not that hard.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Homemade mashed potatoes, or anything made with real potatoes vs boxed. Sure it takes time to peel, etc, but it's so worth it. I grow all my own potatoes (almost 100 plants this last summer) and make some sort of potato dish at least twice a week. Not that hard!
    Anonymous

• I love French Onion Soup and you're right . . . it is SO easy to make.

Homemade pizza is a lot easier than I think most would imagine. I love to cook, so before I had a baby, I was willing to try and make anything as dh worked nights and I liked to keep myself busy..........................the kid does that for me now . . . lol.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Potsticker. Lots of steps, but none are very hard.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Any soup. Soups are a matter of putting stuff in pots.

Cake from scratch. A 1-2-3-4 cake is so so so so easy.

1 cup milk
    1 cup butter
    2 cups sugar
    3 cups flour
    4 eggs

and you can amend it for flavors, fruits, seeds, toppings, etc.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010