Am I the only one who couldn't care less?

About Valentine's Day? I know it all romantic, blah blah blah...but honestly, we've never really made a big thing out of it. I may get him a card and he will likely "get some"...but planned romance never lives up to what you expect...so I prefer to let our romantic moments happen naturally. I find candlelight dinners cheesy and hot sex seems to happen randomly and in the moment...not because you light a candle and put rose petals on the bed. Plus, our anniversary is also in February so all that planned mushy stuff is just too much for one month. Dont take this wrong...there is nothing WRONG with the holiday, I just personally dont' find it worth celebrating when I'd much rather have totally spontaneous romance. Sitting on our porch having coffee on a Friday night is fine with me thanks! Anybody else not do much to celebrate V-day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No,we're good and loving all year long.I don't care for these forced romance days.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It is just a way to make sure you spend romantic time with that special person. Most people feel obligated, and yes I like spontaneous things more, but at least on V-Day I know that we need to spend time together... Hell we usually have one date a week and I just realized its been a month. We've been wrapped up in our schedules so much we completely forgot about "us".

I just like the idea of what V-Day is.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I like the idea of showing and doing something special for my family. Eating a special Valentine's Day meal, and dessert of course and spending time together and a little something(gift)
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• OP--- I agree it's a nice idea and it can be fun...but I got tired of trying to "be romantic" because I learned that I can't force myself to feel sexy and romantic just because it says so on the calendar. So it just led to disappointment because whenever we TRY and be romantic, it always turns out stupid. You know, he farts during sex....or the daughter gets sick. So I just stopped having expectations for the day. If we go out to dinner and end up having the best lovemaking EVER...great. If we just stay home with dd and eat pizza and watch a movie...that's fine too.
    Anonymous

• nope.

I do cute things for the kids, but its nothing special.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• We don't really do much for it either. We get each other a card or he'll get me flowers. My husband works night shift so we usually don't get to do much anyway. I agree that spontaneous romance is better. Anytime we have planned a time to have sex it usually doesn't work out. It feels awkward. If he is off work this year, we will probably just use it as an excuse for someone to watch the baby so we can go out to dinner and a movie alone.
    MichaelsMom17

Answer by MichaelsMom17 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree with you. I prefer spontaneous romance over planned romance everyday. I'm not the kind of girl who needs flowers or chocolates to make me feel better. If my husband brought home a candy bar one random Monday evening I'd be ecstatic, but if he did it just because it was Valentine's day that'd take the romance out of it for me.

Since February 4th (Exactly a year after we met, to the day) we've been going to our favorite seafood restaraunt. That's our only planned romantic moment. It wasn't even planned that we started doing it either, we just went on the our 1 year anniversary (before marriage) and have done it ever since. Other then that whatever happens happens. Like I said, I prefer spontaneous romance. That shows me he really thought about it and did it because he loves me. Not because of a commercial holiday.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• We don't celebrate. The whole holiday makes me want to gag. I'm a romantic at heart but Valentine's Day is not romantic to me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• We don't, and we won't. I think it's dumb. Just more money making for the "hallmark" type companies.
    Anonymous

• No, it doesn't mean anything to me. I don't like flowers (they just die) and I don't need the chocolate. I don't care for my husband to feel forced to buy me things I don't want or need because the calendar says he should. It feels very coerced and unnatural to me. I'd rather he do something nice, or say something loving out of the blue and because his heart compels him to.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010