What questions do I need to be thinking about?

This is my first pregnancy and I don't know really what to expect. I have my first appt on the 1-26-10. What questions do I need to start thinking about. For Example.

Do I want to get the Amniocentesis?
Who do I want in the Delivery room with me?
Do I want an Epidural?
Baby Names?
Do I want to know know if its a girl or boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A lot of those decisons are very personal and only you can decide them. I highly suggest the book, "What to expect when you're expecting." It will explain a lot of things (like what an amniocnetesis is and if it's necessary for you) and might give you some insight. It helped me feel a lot more comfortable with issues that I had questions about and is a very fact-based book.

As for just wanting the opinions of others....I myself wanted to be surprised by the sex of my baby. Some mothers would rather know so they can pick out appropriate room decor/clothing. Totally up to you! Baby names - stay away from the trendy/popular. In 10 yrs when your son/daughter is in a classroom with 5 other "Emma's" (just used that name as an example) it will be more annoying than you realize. I know this from personal experience. Go online to babynames.com or something, look up the top 10 names and cross those off your list! Then go from there!
    Anonymous

• Ask what types of food to not eat and what types of medication to avoid. What kind of vitamins to take.

Answer by louise2 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Breastfeed or Formula feed?
    Vaccinate or Not Vaccinate?
    Extended Rear Face or a Car seat?
    Cloth Diapers or Disposable Diapers?
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 4:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• most doctors wont even offer an amnio unless there is medical reason for it, so i reall wouldnt worry to much about that.

i would ask your ob what thier personal preferences are, and how strongly they will force them on you. its your baby, you get to make decisions.

ask what the hospitals policies on L&D are, they vary greatly.

make sure you have an ob that will let you take charge of your birth plan, and not force you into something you are not comfortable w. good luck!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 8:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The What To Expect When You're Expecting Pregnancy Planner has a section in it where you can write down your birth plan wishes. It also has check off options to make it easier. It's got room for you to write little entries each day, and places for pictures & stuff. It also has places to write down questions for your care provider, & entries for each visit. It's a really good momento of your pregnancy. I love to look back on mine & smile  :)

(cont. below)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 8:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• (cont. from above)

A good thing to do is to envision how you want to give birth. Meditate on it. What do you see? What do you feel? Where are you? Who is there with you, & what are they doing?
    Knowing what you want makes it much easier to weed out what you DON'T want.

Good luck, mama!
    AND
    congratulations

emslala

Answer by emslala at 8:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010