Would you consider adopting or being a foster parent to a Haitian orphan?

My mother presented this question to me last night as we were watching the news. I think if I didnt live in an one bedroom apartment I would consider being a foster parent to Haitian orphans. It breaks my heart that now there are thousands of children who literally have nothing, no parents, probably no family, no home. If my mother and I had the means, I think we would. If it were (or is) possible for you, would you?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly could not. I give props to those who do though.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Yes, of course.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 4:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Why wouldn't you first think of adoping a child in our own country??
    Anonymous

• I would. I wouldn't meet the requirements to adopt a child here. Maybe they would be less picky about age and income.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The only problem with this is that it will not happen. In order for someone to adopt from Haiti or any other country, it has to be proven that the child is an orphan for the US to allow that child to come into the country. USCIS is very strict with international adoptions. Also, Haiti requires a 10 year marriage, over 35 for the parents, no more than 2 children and they prefer childless couples so if you have children you have to be approved which can add up to 1 year onto the process. It also costs between 23K- 30K to adopt from Haiti depending on many different variables.
    Not only that, the country will most likely suspend all adoptions from Haiti until further notice. When there is a natural disaster like this the country usually ends up closing down for a period of time because it brings out the pedophiles... I've seen it happen several times with other countries. I'm an AP to a little girl adopted internationally.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I just had my 2nd baby, but for some reason adopting a child has been something weighing on my heart. Whether the child is from Haiti or America, I've been dreaming of adopting a little boy. I just wish the process wasn't so expenisive and lengthy.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 4:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• mcginnisc, Oh wow. I didnt know all of that. I guess for some reason I was under the misconceprion that international adoptions were "easier" . Thanks for the information.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You would think, barring any pyschos and sickos, that making the adoption process easier and cheaper for want-to-be parents would be better for the child than growing up in the system. IDK, I think it's sad that people like me and my husband are exempt from providing a child a home just because we aren't married long enough or have 25k at hand. That money could buy us a home to raise more kids if we had it and who's to say a couple can't divorce after 10 years? Or that single parents will provide less of a life than the orphanages they are sitting in.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 4:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I would love to but we don't meet the requirements.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i would foster not adopt. but only small kids
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2010