At what age could you leave your kid with an open window?

I'm thinking about the summer when it's really hot upstairs and you just need to open the windowto be able to breathe. We have these silly dutch windows, that open to the outside and you can't put a lockon, or keep them open just e few centimeters. PLUS they are SO low, only 50 cm abouve the floor.
I guess, I just have to keep it closed until it feels safe. It's better to have a sweatty child then a dead one. What do you think?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have gates that double as windows gates. They are very secure metal. You should look into that. We have pretty new windows and I"m wondering if ours can open at the top. I will have to look into that also. Good luck.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I do not feel safe leaving my window open at night. We have A/C.

Answer by louise2 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• There must be some kind of bars or safety screen made that could be used. You might try One Step Ahead Catalog.

Eric Clapton's song Tears in Heaven is about his young son that died by falling out a window. It is so sad.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Secure-Entry-Metal-Gate/dp/B000H953XI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Here is our gate.  It doesn't say it there at Amazon.com, but on the box and in the directions when we bought these, it said that they can also be used for windows.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Upstairs, I am assuming you are concerned with the kids falling out, not strangers gaining access, right? I think a window a/c unit is worth the money if it gets that yucky upstairs. I know I have a hard time falling asleep if I'm hot and can't get cozy under the blankets.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2010