Does Wii teach bad sportsmanship?

When you do poorly in a Wii game your mii pitches a fit and pouts. Sometimes they even get on their knees and pound their fists on the ground. Do you think that's setting a bad example for kids?

maxswolfsuit

Asked by maxswolfsuit at 4:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Entertainment

• That has bothered me also with the Wii. How in Tennis if you don't win a big "YOU LOSE" sign comes up and the player hangs their head. I think it's not the best choice that could have been made personally.
    Anonymous

• omg. If wii games is the only place where your children are learning sportsmanship that is your fault, not the games! LOL. Take it as a teaching moment "see how silly they look pitching a fit"

Anonymous

• um... video games and movies don't teach anything PARENTS do.
    my kids just laugh at the Mii pitching a fit when I lose.
    Anonymous

• No, lazy parents do
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree with the 3 PP
    You do know that MANY other games before the WII even came out showed people throwing fits ?
    Parents are what teachs children. If you leave your childs future and actions in the hands of a video game that is YOUR fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• No, I didn't know many other games show people throwing fits. We don't have/play video games. My child's future is not dependant on a video game and of course I will teach him sportsmanship.

However, I do think out side influences have an impact on our children's behavior. Even when parents say something is wrong, kids get the wrong message when what they see on TV, in games, online, and from other people doesn't match up to what mommy and daddy say. I think it's irresponsible for the game to give kids the message that pounding your fists on the ground is the norm for when you lose. Does that mean my son will do it? I hope not, but I'm not naive enough to believe that I am the sole influence on my child.  If you think you are the only for your child, you are sorely mistaken.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2010