My daughter is 6 weeks old and when she is awake all she wants to do is eat is that normal because she could eat for 2 hours or more if i let her?

People say she might have colic or acid reflux but she doesnt act like she has either. she doesnt spit up and she doesnt act like her gas bothers her.

kristylovesyou

Asked by kristylovesyou at 5:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's probably going thru a growth spurt. If she seems fine & is hungry that much then by all means let her eat.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Is she BF?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If she is breastfed try breastfeeding on only one breast a feeding. That way she will get the high fat hindmilk that will make her feel full. Next feeding use the other breast. It's called 'finish the first breast first'.

This is the normal time for a growth spurt. Don't worry that you don't have enough milk. Don't pump or give bottles. The baby nursing will stimulate your breasts to make more milk.

If your baby is formula fed give only the amount you are supposed to feed the baby. If you overfeed the baby will be uncomfortable and may spit it up. If the baby keeps eating to much the baby will become overweight. You can't feed formula fed babies on demand like breastfed babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The breast is as much for comfort as nutrition

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• babys like to suck, try using a pacifir
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It could be a growth spurt, or like rklomos said, nursing is comforting for baby and she could just want to be close to you. Just get a sling & let her nurse.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree that it sounds like a growth spurt. If she is BF she will eat more often because breastmilk digests really fast. Make sure you are hearing her actively eat and not just sucking for comfort if formula feeding to make sure she isn't overeating but if she is nursing, then I agree with wheepingchree to get a sling and let her nurse. My son nursed all the time around 6 weeks too, it is pretty normal.
    EMBER127

Answer by EMBER127 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If she is bf, then I would not worry about it.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Maybe its hunger and comfort. She can suckle and hear a familiar sound- your heartbeat
    Anonymous

• If you are BFing I would recommend consulting w/ a lactation specialist. Your baby may not be latching on properly causing them to seem continually hungry. If hes doing it for comfort give the baby a pacifier. I BF and my soon took a paci no problem.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2010