hitting and throwing things :(

ok so my son will be 2 may 1st and he has hit this stage where he throws things. now at his 18 month appt he has slightly started it so i asked his dr and she said we should start with the timeouts and that it was just a phase and it would go away...however since this it has gotten worse and timeouts dont seem to work at all . does anyone have this problem and if so can anyone tell me if this is normal or if maybe you have some good ideas we can try to have him use his words when hes upset rather than his actions. im running out of patience and ideas!!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 6:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Often at this age it is communication that they are frustrated with, and not just the not getting their own way. I read and used techniques from The Happiest Toddler on the Block and while it seemed a little odd, it WORKED the day I started. Maybe google it to see the premise so you don't have to buy the book.
    Anonymous

• I'm reading The Happiest Toddler on the Block and it's good, worth buying. I couldn't find a section just on hitting and throwing. He talks a lot about redirection.

Of course time-outs don't work. For kids. They can work for upset moms. If you hit your child then its hard to expect your child to not hit. So spanking is out. There are lots of other parenting skills.

Love & Limits is a good first book by Elizabeth Crary. Small, practical, and cheap. She has a website called Star Parenting with a parenting chart you can print out and put on the fridge. Her book Without Spanking or Spoiling changed my life when it came out in 1981 and my oldest was 2.

I agree that your son probably is frustrated because he can't express himself. It is something you can change.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My husband and son play fight and he knows that daddy is ok to hit (only becase daddy allows it, I still don't like that he does!)but mommy doesn't get hit. If they are playing and he comes to me still amped up he will sometimes hit me. He also hits sometimes when he is tired and therefore frustrated. Since he was about a year old anytime he would hit I would look him in the eye and tell him "You don't hit mommy, you be nice," and rub his hand on my cheek. Now a lot of times when I tell him "you don't hit mommy," he will rb my cheek. I've always found that distraction is a good tool, instead of just saying "no" I teach him to do something else.
    Danamiah

Answer by Danamiah at 11:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2010