Am I my brother's keeper?....

Or only when it is beneficial to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes. always. unconditionally
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 6:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Hmmm....I sense a hidden topic in this question. LOL

to answer your question...i believe if you this is a question that is "biblically speaking" of one's brother(all of mankind) then no, it's not ONLY when it's convenient for you. I have never run across a footnote in the bible about that and no longer read a bible as i am no longer christian, but I'm sure someone can tell you if there is a footnote with that stipulation.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Ah, CinderAmethyst, you are a quick one you caught on that there was something more, yes there is. I have noticed the amount of posts on here and in the answers section dealing with Haiti. There are posts about how people are tired of hearing about it, about how we shouldn't help because they didn't help us, about how we are helping only because Obama wants to boost his ratings. This question came to mind. Thank you guys for answering.

Iconoclast

Answer by Iconoclast at 7:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Does being your brother's keeper mean you are to be his sole provider with no effort on his part?
    Anonymous

• Yes. We all are our brother's keepers. No matter what effort he makes.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 7:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

That's not a keeper, it's a doormat.
    Anonymous

• Anon, I don't think it means to be his sole provider. What do you take away from that question, Am I my brother's keeper?
    Iconoclast

Answer by Iconoclast at 7:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Anon why is that a doormat? When we help other's, we help ourselves. We give to causes all the time were the people within them cannot help themselves.
    Iconoclast

Answer by Iconoclast at 7:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Because far too often what people describe as helping is actually enabling. That's true whether it's giving money to a homeless addict on the street or millions of dollars to a corrupt government that will pocket it instead of spending it to help its citizens.
    Anonymous

• Does it change when you know the person (that homeless addict, or if someone you know is a citizen of the area with the corrupt government)?
    Iconoclast

Answer by Iconoclast at 8:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2010