How can I get my kids to be quiet while I'm on the phone?

As soon as the phone hits my ear, chaos breaks out. Any and everything that they don't do normally get done while I'm on the phone. Telling them hush & be quiet doesn't work they get louder. Any suggestions? And no I can be on the phone for less than 5 minutes and the same thing happened.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they need a special toy that they ONLY get to play with while youre on the phone.....even if its a sheet of stickers and paper to stick them on
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 6:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If the kids are old enough or there is another adult at home, go outside or close yourself in an empty room to talk. Use a cordless phone or one with a really long cord.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I know how frustrating this can be. My sister and I were just joking about this on the phone last week. We both are moms and I told her that I think there is some silent sound that only children can hear the minute you push the last button to someone's number. kind of like a dog whistle only with children and phones LOLLL They can be minding their own business, playing with toys or watching tv, we'll have had lunch, played games, whatever and they are fine, but the second i put that phone to my ear and say hello, it's like letting the dogs loose around here LOL

I'm looking forward to seeing the answers you get here. Hope you have some good ones because I seriously have no clue either.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I'm in the same boat, all 3 of mine do the same thing. They also like to stand right in front of me and ask over and over if they can say hi to whoever I am on the phone with. I haven't found anything that works just yet, but I do try to make any calls that I need to make when they are napping or really busy with something else. I think the stickers thing suggested above might work, or a special toy, I'm going to give them a try. I hope something somebody here says is helpful to you and me too!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Duct tape?! I'm just kidding!!

I like the first person's idea with the special toy. Get your kids occupied and sneak off. If someone calls, ask if you can call right back and then get kids situated. I realize this can't always happen though. The only thing I can think of is to tell them if they interrupt you then they will be punished when you are done because interrupting is disrespectful...maybe take a toy or a privilege away. If that doesn't work, offer a reward if they are quiet while you are on the phone or make a game out of it to see who can be the quietest while mommy is on the phone? I don't know....just some ideas!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 6:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i usually go out in the garage or in another room if its an important call. If he follows me i say "i'm on the phone...do not bother me"...if he does bother me when i get off the phone and he asks me for something i tell him no because he didnt behave while i was on the phone
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• hee hee

Anonymous

• Ha ha ha, I was going to say duct tape too!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Love it!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Um, how about just telling them to be quiet because you are on the phone?? I do this with my 2 year old and she gets it, yours should too at their age. Do you teach them manners??
    Anonymous