Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have any of you military wives adopted?

Can the military help you adopt? I'm about to adopt my little brother. My lawyer said that i should do it myself because it's such a clear cut case (no parental rights to terminate or anything) But i was thinking about calling jag to see if they'd offer me any assistance. The closest military base is three hours from where i live and it's AF and we are Army. So before i waste my time calling them i was hoping someone here might be able to tell me if the military will assist me. My husband also wants to adopt him but he's in Germany. Any ideas on how that's supposed to work?


Asked by outstandingLove at 7:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Adoption

Level 20 (9,136 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You can get reimbursed and the service member is eligible for leave, in order to allow your family an adjustment period. You can find a lot of information on military adoption here:


    Answer by ShotCaller at 11:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • I don't have an answer for your question because I haven't dealt with the military, but I would think it would be worth a phone call. I think I would be overwhelmed having to do it al myself, even if it is a clear cut case. You could also try talking to another lawyer to see if he or she would be willing to help you. It might not cost more than a few hundred dollars. GL!

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

  • I wish it wouldn't cost more then a few hundred dollars. The minimum cost of a lawyer adoption in my state is 2,000 dollars.
    If i do it myself it's only a few hundred.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 11:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

  • Your hubby is going to have to do the background check and talk to the social worker before the adoption can take place. JAG maybe able to answer questions but as they told us, adoption is a civil case. Go to your local courthouse they can give you a list of everything you need. Go for Sole Custody for you and hubby if you have trouble adopting. You'll be able to get judge approval for his passport. Good luck.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • OP - wow! $2,000? Both times we adopted, our lawyer's fees were around $1,000, and that included filing court papers and publishing for the bio father to be notified. I thought it would be less if you didn't have to publish and terminate rights. That is steep.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • What state do you live in lamgr8teful?
    we live in California. Everything is steep here.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 11:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • I'm pretty sure the military will pay you back AFTER the adoption has taken place. We had a baby girl placed with us last year that we were going to adopt, but another father came into the picture and he turned out to be BIO :( :( Anywho I'm pretty positive it's at the end of the adoption they will reimburse you.

    Answer by bgcmommy at 11:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • JAG on any military base/post will offer the same services. Most deal directly with military issues but can point in the the right direction to go civilain wise.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

Next question in Adoption
what to do?

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Jackson Michigan Moms?????