do your kids follow you around? are they clingy still even as they have gotten older?

my son is 5 and he is always stuck to me! I can't go to the bathroom without him wondering what i'm doing. He is the only child. I do feel sorry for him sometimes. He does do good at times playing with his toys alone and watchin movies but i swear he could be upstairs playing and if i were downstairs and took one step he would hear me and come to check to see what i was up to. I just get so frustrated and i feel like i'm so anxious sometimes. I love doing stuff with him but i feel like its not enough...and i feel drained because i don't have his energy and i don't want to do EVERYTHING he wants to do and for the amount of time he wants to...i have to work to. I feel like such a bad mom sometimes. Is this just an age thing and being an only child thing (he does go to pre k so he does get to socialize with other kids) or does it sound like i'm having some kind of depression?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Aw don't say that, you're not a bad mom at all! All kids follow their parents around because they enjoy playing with them, like company and look up to them. My kids have siblings to play with but my 4 and 7 year olds still follow me around. As a kid I was clingy to certain people, but not particularly my parents more my older sister. Especially as a teenager I was clingy to her , but kids grow out of following their parents because as they get older we get boringer!
    eliza738

Answer by eliza738 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• my son is 6 1/2, I ahve the same problem...and it drives me NUTS
    Gald to know Im not the only 1
    IDK how many times a day I say "leave me alon while I'm in the bathroom"
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• why is everything about depression these days? no, it doesn't sound that way

my five year old isnt like that but my three year old is

can you have a friend over for himsometimes

also, try setting a timer and tell him "I'll play such and such for such and such minutes but when the timer goes off, I have to go and do such and such and you have to play alone for such and such time"
    Anonymous

• That is the way kids are. They like to be near us, it is very comforting to them. Hang on to that , don't get upset with it.....there comes a day when they leave the nest.......and then you'll be longing for those days of him tagging along your side.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• my kids follow me even to the bathroom my son is gonna be 3 and my daughter is 1 yr old and i was one of those kids too i used to follow my mom to the restroom too... because i wanted to be near her ....it was sort of like a comfort thing with me and my mom... i think its the same with my kids but i find it cute.... when they do that
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 6:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010