Should she get colors in her hair?

My 4 1/2 yo DD wants some funky colors in her hair and I want to do it! Dad says shes too young and that I should ask cafemoms what they think...if most agree with me he says he will go for it. She wont have to bleach her hair and it isnt permanent but will stay in for a few months. I just want to put in a few streaks of green/blue/purple, she really wants it too!!
So is 4 1/2 too young to start with dying hair?

MamaZena

Asked by MamaZena at 8:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes it is too young her hair folicles are not fully mature and dye of any kind can cause damage and cause her hair to never grow to its full potential. You can get colored hairsprays that won't damage but they don't last as long but that is ok and safe for her hair.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• yep, too young
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I'm sorry but I'm going to agree with your dh, I think 4 is too young to coloring her hair. They have those ponytail holders that have the different colors of fake hair, you could always use something like that. They also use to have hair gel for kids that would make the hair blue but then it washes right out. I think that would be better for someone so young.
    vowens82

Answer by vowens82 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• it will stay, if its a permanent product. it will have to grow out. have you tried giving-in with the sprays/gels..temporary products? its much easier to play with different colors when you use temporary, as long as her hair is naturally light enough for the colors to show. also, they do have clip-in party colors, that can be cut/trimmed to the lenght of the hairstyle. maybe that's the way to go, for now. its another option.
    that being said, i do think she's too young. but, hey-she's your kid!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• get her the little clip on hair extension things in different colors
    Anonymous

• it will NOT hurt her hair-temporary color is fine. it's PERMANENT color you need to worry about. it will basically stain the ahir and each time you wash it it will fade a bit.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• *all colors like purple-pink-blue-orange-green-yellow are temporary. Don't worry about it ; )
    *I graduated cosmetology school
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• For me, tattoos that wash off and colors that wash out are fine, but nothing permanent on my kids.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Get colored gel at Sally's super fun and washes right out next shampoo. Just put a dab on your finger and thumb and run it down small strands of hair. :) That way she can change her colors every day to match her clothes. Way better than waiting for it to fade to try another color out.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• http://www.sallybeauty.com/colored-gel/MANIC2,default,pd.html
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2010