Is 2 1/2 too young to hold it in all night?

My 2 1/2 yo DS ( will be 3 in May) has been fully potty trained for a few months now. He went a few days where is pullup was dry in the morning so I figured he was ready to go in undies to bed, but every morning hes peed the bed. Should I put pullups on him again? Is he just too little to hold it all night? Thanks for any advice!

MamaZena

Asked by MamaZena at 8:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it really depends on how deep they sleep. If your child is a deep sleeper then chances are he doesn't even get the sensation that he needs to wake up and go...

my DS is 4 and still is not night time trained
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Put a pull-up on the poor kid. Geez lady, I can't believe you even have to ask such a question.
    Anonymous

• every child is different... my 3 year old has been dry at night for a year now, but my 5 year old still wets the bed every night
    Anonymous

• wow that's great 2 1/2 and fully potty trained. Well my daughter was fully trained at almost 2 3/4 yrs of age. She had problems at night, we stopped the drinking after a certain time. She was good but had some accidents. First I got mattress protection cover for her and then when I woke up to go (I first got her up to go also). Over time things just worked it's self out. Give it time. I'd say.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 8:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My daughter was fully potty trained just after she turned 2. But she didn't stop wearing a diaper at night until she was almost 4 I think. Part of that may have been that I just didn't worry about. Anyway, I don't think that he's too young for it to be possible, I'm sure there are kids who can. But I don't think he's at an age where you need to worry that he's not. I would go back to pull-ups for at least a little while. He needs to be completely dry every day for a week before you try again without them. If you're really wanting to be done with it all, then try setting your alarm for one or two times during the night when you can go in and take him potty. Make sure it's the same time every night and he'll either learn to get up and take himself, or as he gets bigger, he'll be able to hold it the whole night. Hope this helps! Good Luck
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• thanks ladies for all the helpful advice, I think I wouldve put the pullups back on tonight anyway, would rather change pullups than sheets everyday! guess it was just wishing to be done with diapers! I really thought he was ready, oh well, one day!
    MamaZena

Answer by MamaZena at 8:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Night is definately harder for them, they play hard all day and are in a deep sleep, it will make both of you feel better is he is wearing a pull and is waking up in a dry bed.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• count your blessing.. my 10 y/o still wets the bed almost every night. pedi says she has to out grow it. To answer your question... id put one back on.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Night is harder, and I think night training is a toss up. I hear bed wetting is genetic as well. Among people I know in real life, I'd say about 1/2 of the 2.5 year olds are dry at night, and 1/2 are not. Most are dry at night by 4. However, I also hear that doctors don't worry about night time bedwetting until they are 7. Mine has been potty trained for almost a year, and still needs a pull up at night. I haven't decided how I want to help her with that, since she really wants a cup overnight. I would need to take the cup away, and I think right now it is her comfort object.

I don't know many doctors who would be concerned about a 2 year old bedwetting or even a 3 year old. I am sure there are things you can do to encourage your child, but at the same time, I think at this age it involves limiting fluids, and I'm not willing to do that right now.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My daughter is 2.5 and has been fully trained for a year; but she still can't hold it all night. She went through a phase where she refused a pull-up at night (wanted undies) so we tried it -- but even with waking her and taking her to the potty before we went to bed, she still had an accident most nights. Some kids just can't hold it; others just can't wake themselves up... There are plenty of kids who are night trained at this age (don't listen to pp who claim you're crazy), but there are others who master the daytime thing just fine and still can't make it through the night till 4 or 5. If it isn't disrupting sleep or causing major problems, you can try it a little while longer; or if you want to try waking him once (before you go to bed) to see if he makes it through, that's fine; but don't worry about going back either.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2010