how would you respond?

It started where my daughter was rude to a friend invited to her party. The mother e-mailed me the next day and I spoke to my daughter & punished her and told her to apoligize to her friend. The girl was a bit rude (but understandable) and then became friends again. Yesterday my daughter mentioned this girl and another take her snacks that I provide to her. I e-mailed the girl's mother, just letting her know just incase she has a intake on sweets, etc. The mother e-mailed me back that she will as the teacher to keep them apart. That she doesn't want her daughter to do anything with mine and not socialize with her at all. I was surprised since they are both 6 yrs old, are friends and fight some times. Which children do. I told the mother I was surprised what she said and told her that that's her decision. I e-mailed her teacher informing him and what transpired earlier on (like I did her). How would you react to this?

happynewyorker

Asked by happynewyorker at 8:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if you keep hounding her, it just makes you look desperate. they're only 6-kids that age usually work things out for themselves, and really, do you think a teacher is going to consume his time trying to keep two little girls apart, who want to play together, when he's got a whole classroom to control? probably not.
    i'd just let it go, and let nature take its course, unless/until the other girl does something to your kid.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Sounds like she is a snot, and it may be hard on your daughter but she may be better off, if she and the other girl really want to be friends then you need to be their advocate parental BS shouldn't hurt our kids.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I wouldnt email the mom to begin with, I would have gone to the teacher - why is another kid allowed to take your kids snack...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree with mommymeg-- dont email the mom, because it turns it into drama.

just teach your daughter how to tell the teacher quietly that someone is taking her snacks. or better yet to tell the girls no, she doesnt want to share/ trade snacks. nteach HER to take care of this. also tell her she can always bring a healthier snack like an apple that no one else can take away.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• these are 6 year olds. don't get over-involved with the daily drama of friendships. this is for the school to help your kids sort out for themselves. don't fall out with the mom, because next week your kids may be best of friends again.

let it go, be friendly to the other mom, don't send your daughter with snacks, give them direct to the teacher to give to her at break, and explain the problem and leave it at that.

good luck :)
    Sachar

Answer by Sachar at 6:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2010