After I gave birth when I cough or laugh, I pee my pants. I do the exercises but they dont work!? HELP?

I do those exercises the doc's recommend but I still pee my pants. I wear a panty liner but it is really annoying and upsetting? Anyone have any advice on how to have that stop...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep doing the kegels. And check that you do not have an infection. Core abdominal muscles as well as the pelvic floor need to strengthen. Until I quit drinking coffee I did have pee issues too. Drink plenty of liquids and loose any extra pounds and firm firm firm up.

Anonymous

• It's just a weakened pelvic floor. Keep up the Kegal exercises and the pad. Do them several times a day every day.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't know how long ago you delivered, but for me it lasted a few months. My daughter is 15 months now and occasionally I still have a slight leak when I cough really hard or something. But it is really rare now. I would say it got better for me around 4 months or so after delivery. Have you talked to your doctor? I would mention it there and keep up the exercises. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You can purchase vaginal weights to help retrain your muscles. They help when Kegels are hard.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• my daughter is 3, and i have talked to 3 different drs about my problem. all three told me i would need surgery for it.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You could be doing the kegels wrong, I know but it can happen. It does take time for things to get back to normal also. They do sell weights that are just to help strengthen those muscles. If you find they are still not helping you can buy the weights online. Also the kegels should be done several times a day. Just like working your abs, do 3 sets of 10 with a few seconds in between each one.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If you had an episiotomy the doctor could have messed something up. Otherwise just keep doing the kegels because that's the only way I know how to fix it.
    Anonymous

• My son is 2. Still having those problems after doing kegals for 2 years. It's horrible...really horrible. Just taking a long walk outside fills up a pad (not a liner....a pad!)

I'm due with my 2nd child in a few weeks. I'm sure it will get even worse then!

My doctor told me I will need surgery when I'm done having kids. That should be in a few weeks! Can't wait to schedule it! I want to live again!
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 1:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Go see your doc. Thre different things could be going on: 1) you may not be doing your kegals properly. Your doctor can help you recognise which muscles are the correct ones. 2) You may be having some anatomy issues that all the kegals in the world won't help or 3) you may be having muscles spasms causing your leakage and there are Rx meds that can help that.

karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2010