If You Are Pro-Choice....

I want to know why a woman feels that she has a right to have sex even though her circumstances aren't appropriate for having a child and knows she would have to have an abortion. This is not at all speaking of any instance of pregnancy other than by consensual sex between an adult man and woman (I don't want to drag teen pregnancy, rape, or incest into this debate because it's totally irrelevant to the specific question I'm asking). Why is it 'OK' to have an abortion in a case where a woman chooses to enjoy sex freely when she is not prepared to be a mother? Sex and pregnancy go hand in hand. I am just trying to understand what the logic is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Your argument is totally valid.

Unfortunately our laws have to protect victims of rape and the other horrible things you mentioned. And since many rape victims have difficulty proving their attacker's guilt, we can't put additional regulations on proving rape in order to get an abortion.

Sometimes we have to accept things in society that are horrible to prevent more horrible things from happening. All pro-choice and pro-life people should act with a strong moral conscience to ensure that babies born will be loved and cared for and safe. No matter your political or religious views, you can be an example of society without violence.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I suppose we could say sex and pregnancy do not go hand in hand under ideal conditions. That's what protection is for. I have the IUD, it's my means of protection against unwanted pregnancy with my husband.

But if someone throws protection out the window and just has unprotected sex without thinking of the consequences, then they're obviously jumping the gun and aren't planning ahead. Some people just plain don't think it'll happen to them. It takes a wake up call for them to realize that YES, yes it can. It happened to me. Abortion never entered my mind. I'm pro-choice though, I'm not going to tell a woman that she cannot have one. It's irresponsible and childish to use abortion as a means of birth control. It is unnecessary and should not be used for that purpose. But my opinion won't stop other women from doing it, hence why I'm vehemently pro-choice.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Oh and, because it's not any of your business what any women do with THEIR bodies.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• her body, her choice (sex and abortion) thats about all i have to say...

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Because she does have that right. It's her body to do with as she pleases. Whether or not to have sex, protected or not is her choice and whether to continue a pregnancy to term is also her choice.
    Anonymous

• I do not get why people who are pro-choice are so indifferent and won't take a moral stance...despite the fact that you cannot control someone else, do you believe in a right and wrong? I think THAT is what the question is.
    Anonymous

• Well, I never had an abortion but i'm going to just take a guess here and say that most women are probably intoxicated 25% of the time and logical reasoning flies out the window at that point, another 25% of women probably had unplanned pregnancies because the condom ripped, or they were just in the heat of the moment and once again, logical reasoning flew out the window as did their panties and birth control methods, then the other 50% probably were in relationships(marriage or other) that were going well, and she got pregnant and the guy got spooked or she got spooked and when reality set in she decided on an abortion. And somewhere in that 50% are also women that just simply don't care and have abortions like they are not a big deal and don't give it a second thought.
    I'm just guessing here, as I don't know why exactly and only those women can actually tell you.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 9:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It's not a matter of how abortion is used, it's a matter of how much interference is involved in a woman's choice about it. I would never get an abortion; I don't agree with it's use as birth control. BUT, it's not my place to tell someone else how to live her life. Once I say it's ok for the government to tell someone she can't get an abortion, how long will it be before they tell me that I can't buy ice cream because I'm "too fat"?

Sex and pregnancy are not necessarily mutually exclusive in today's society, what with all the different methods of birth control we employ. Yes, precautions should be taken. Yes, there should still be a committed relationship. But in matters like this, there should be as little room for "interpretation" as possible, to keep from taking people's rights away.
    Anonymous

• It's just a chance people take for pleasure. Having an abortion is totally fine as long as it is done very early in the pregnancy. It is so annoying to see all these wacko protesting it, it's a womens body and she should choose what she wants to do with it. Like I said before, as long as the abortion is done very early in the pregnancy, it should be legal.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't think you should be having sex, protected or not, if your not ready for a baby. Whether your married or not sex causes babies and protection doesn't always work
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2010