Do you feel more free to disagree with something about your religion or poke fun of your religion with people are also part of your faith?

This topic came up on another discusion board.

There was a Seinfeld episode in which Jerry was upset because a comedian converted. Jerry felt he did it just so he can use jokes.

If you are with someone who follows your faith are you more comfortable sharing jokes or anything you disagree about the faith? Is it apropriate for a Catholic comedian to make Muslim Jokes or vice versa?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• A joke is a joke and I think it is sad when people get up in arms about it, make fun of me as a fun thing and I won't care and I may even laugh. I think religious people can be too uptight about this sort of thing. I am Catholic and I do disagree with some church teachings, and don't get mad that the simpsons totally trash catholics who cares it is funny. I think people need to get over it and just laugh.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think people need to get over it and just laugh.

AGREED! how hard is it to just ignore it. When someone tries to fire back with an insult is when it gets out of hand. I do talk more with those who share my faith on things I disagree with. It seems to be easier to talk out why I don't agree.
    Anonymous

• I am Catholic. I can joke about my church with other catholics, but it is different when a non-catholic does it. Then it feels more like an attack. I disagree with the above poster about the Simpsons. I find the show very offensive. If that makes someone think me uptight, so be it. It is how I feel.
    Anonymous

• I belive in the Bible and I don't find anything funny that is written in it, I don't joke about other religions cuz I belive that any religion out there that has nothing to do with the Bible is put out there by the devil to confuse people.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• only when it comes to finding a bride lol
    Anonymous

• No.. I believe more in respect and honor.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

;)
    Anonymous

• I will only do that with people I know, regardless of our respective religions. If I know someone's temperament well enough to know they won't get offended by something, then I'll share. Otherwise, I'll keep it to myself.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• so comedians that poke fun of religions? how do you feel about that?
    Anonymous

• I do honestly find the jokes funnier when it's coming from someone who shares my beliefs because I don't have to wonder if they're just trying to mask meanness with a joke. It just makes it easier to laugh.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2010