RSV

My baby was diagnosed with RSV. We spent last night in the hospital as a precautionary....long story.
He has a very mild case. Lungs are clear, no fever.... He mainly has cold symptoms (congestion, cough, not happy).

Without telling me any horror stories (I'm enough of a basket case right now) can you tell me some tips of what works or doesnt work to make my little munchking feel better?

FYI, he's 10 weeks old

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stayed at the hospital with my grandson when he had it. I just held him. There isn't much more you can do.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• hugsP.s. you seem like you need a hug

Answer by admckenzie at 9:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• humidifier, baby slept in his bouncer chair or car seat to be elevated, to prevent back drop mucus. bring baby in the bathroom while you take a hot shower so the steam can help him breathe and clean nose often with saline solution
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 10:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• our DS had RSV when he was 8 weeks old. I feel your pain. His peds recommended us those tricks and it helped him a lot! Good luck.
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 10:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My son had it and the Dr. treated it with a nibulizer(sp?) albuterol and steroids I also had the saline solution for his nose to ease some of the swelling inside his little nares he also slept better across my lap on his tummy
    mosfatal

Answer by mosfatal at 11:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• As a pediatric nurse who worked w rsv babies I know that all you can do is treat the symptoms and let it run its course-in the hospital we had the babies heads slightly elevated when they were sleeping and as I said, treat the symptoms.
    nursenaenae

Answer by nursenaenae at 11:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Breastfeeding babies with RSV do much better. They are 250% less likely to be hospitalized for respiratory infections. If you are breastfeeding you are doing the best thing you can do. Complications like pneumonia are much less.

If you aren't, consider relactating. Ask your baby's doctors about getting human milk from a milk bank. Look into getting milk from MilkShare, the online site. If your doctor wants more info about breastfeeding and RSV in order to get milk from a bank tell him to go to Boston Medical Center's website or to call their lactation services. They have done amazing research there.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2010