How can I help my first grader make friends?

My first grader had plenty friends in Kindergarten, but this year he says that there are no kids that he plays with at recess. Last year we participated in extracurricular activities, but this year we haven't been able to because we have a new baby and not much extra money in our budget for extracurricular stuff. How can I help him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• tell him to just ask someone "want to play ball with me at recess?".......someone will say yes
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 9:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• talk to the teacher to incarouge the kids to play together otherwise be freindly yourself have freinds over with kids thats should be more then enough
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My daughter told us she preferred to play alone at recess. We were very concerned and spoke 2 her teacher. She said my dd had a ton of friends & never played alone...who knows why dd made the comment. i'd talk to the teacher.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I used to show my children how to be assertive and ask others to play with them. Maybe he just needs to be shown.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I agree that he needs to be shown how to join in. NOt everyone is just born with the natural ability to "figure it out" as a child. Sheesh, that comment was harsh dontcha think? But i think that maybe you could keep encouraging your little guy to join in at recess with something that he likes, or maybe you could try and get to know some of the other moms and invite one of the other little guys over to play from time to time. Don't worry, he will make friends.
    4puddintaters

Answer by 4puddintaters at 5:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• invite kids over at weekends with their moms, so he gets to know people in smaller groups. also useful is talking to him about how to make friends. say stuff like what would be a nice way to be a friend, what is a friend, and get him to practice on you asking to play ball. it's daunting for little ones to make friends and tbh they don't make close friends until much later. lots of kids play alone in the playground, or just stand and watch others play. don't stress too much unless he's obviously upset, because you'll make the matter worse.
    relax a bit, let him find his way.
    good luck :)
    Sachar

Answer by Sachar at 6:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2010