Are there any home remedies for a constipated 4-day old baby?

I'm asking for my friend, she's a new mom and I've never dealt with it. Thanks in advance!

ajtherad

Asked by ajtherad at 9:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok it is the formula I had a problem with my breasts and had to do formula for a few weeks, and the first formula kind plugged up my DD she was only a week old at the time, the doctor said they should poop at least 1 time in 24 hours if not then you need to use rectal stimulus to help. Babies this young can get constipated it is more that they get a plug that hold them back and that is where the fussiness comes in. Once you stick the thermometer with vaseline on it in it will just come squirting out, and you can feel the plug pop as it happens, we had to do this once a day for a week then never had a problem again. If she is BF ing and formula feeding she should try a gentler formula. My DD could only handle similac advance with early shield, all other kinds stopped her up it was awful.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Our pediatrician told us that they need stimulation and told us to stick a pinky up there, but that was scary so we used a rectal thermometer and it popped the plug up and she was fine after, just watch out it comes pouring out. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• it is highly unlikely that a 4 day old baby is constipated actually impossible they can gp up to 10 days without a bm and it is normal. You will know if they are if the poop comes out in hard pellets!
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 9:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• exactly what sbahn said and also wanted to add that she can try infant massage clockwise on the stoach and bicycle peddle the legs gently but a 4 day old doesn't see right
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My DD had that issues when she was a week old because of the formula she was on, and the doc told us what I said above, it works, if the baby is fussy it is likely
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I can't imagine a four day old being constipated. If the child isn't pooping it may be something more serious. Have her call her doctor or the pediatrician on call at the ER

Answer by admckenzie at 9:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• A constipated 4 day old??? I would be bringing that child in to the Doctor or ER immediately. .. . 4 days is way too early to be having those kind of issues. Remind your friend though that if a baby is straining to poop, that's normal for newborns and not a sign of constipation.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Thanks, everyone. He has been uber fussy and farting a bunch but hasn't pooped since noon. She is giving both breastmilk and formula (her supply isn't enough) so I think the formula is the culprit, but obviously it's just a guess. I gave her a nurse line number since the doctors didn't give her an on call number or anything. I'll pass along the advice!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 10:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• As long as the poop is not dry, hard, or pellet like, babe is not constipated :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• tell your friend thee is nothing wrong with her supply at four days! What makes her think that?! I would dump the formula and put the baby to the breast and nurse nurse nurse. have her go to http://www.kellymom.com/  and http://www.drjacknewman.com/

Wet diapers is what to look for.   If some ninny told her to supplement ignore it unless her baby was a premie.  If she is going by pumping that means squat.   If she's going by bottles that also means nothing as a baby that young has a voracious need to suck and the will take in more from a bottle even if they don't want it.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2010