My 3 year old is extremely shy, how can I get him to become more open?

My son will be three in less than a month. He is so shy that he completely ignores any one that talks to him and will cover his eyes if they make eye contact. He will even walk around the park with his arm over his eyes. I just don't know what to do. I've been trying to take him to the park and other kid events, but he just ignores everyone, even other children.

night__wolf_

Asked by night__wolf_ at 10:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• awe thats cute !! he is just shy he may have to trust some1 1st b4 he gets close too them . . . . can u do daycare ?
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 10:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Well he plays fine with the ones at day care, but he goes to a private day care with 3-4 other children. Maybe your right. He will start preschool in the fall, so I think that will definitely help too.
    night__wolf_

Answer by night__wolf_ at 10:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I would look into enrolling him in a class, maybe at your local park district, ymca or gymboree? I did this for my daughter through the park district, kind of a "play" group. If you do have a park district or local community center these classes are usually pretty reasonably priced too.
    Anonymous

• My sister's first DD was really shy like that. She enrolled her in a "mommy and me" gymnastics class and it did wonders for her! She had her mom right there to help her get to know the other kids. Now she is 9 and is NOT shy at all. LOL She is still in gymnastics and is really good at it.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2010