what does the Quran really say about a bride?

"Men are the protectors (Qawamoon) of women, because God has given preference to some over others. And because men spend of their property on women. So good women are obedient, guarding even unnoticed that what Allah (God) has asked them to guard. As for those from whom you fear rebellion in this (i.e. guarding their chastity in your absence), i) talk to them, ii) leave them alone in their beds, iii) strike them. If they then obey you, look not for any way against them.. (Koran 4:34)."

I dont find this verse to be too far off from what we would find in the bible. At first I shocked, but this made a good conversation ofline and it doesn't seem to wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• uhhh actually .... there is a huge difference between the scripture in the bible and the passage in the Quran.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think I want a description from woman who practice Islam. I should have clarified that in the quesiton
    Anonymous

• Bismiallah "Men are the protectors and maintainers of woman, because Allah has made one of them to excel the other and becasue they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allah and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what Allah orders them to guard (eg their chastity and their husband's property). As to those women on whose part you see ill conduct, admonish them (first), (next) refuse to share their beds, (and last)beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they obey you seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely Allah is Ever Most High, Most Great." The Holy Quran 4:34 This is what is in the English TRANSLATION that I read at home because I am not fluent in Arabic, and the Quran is ONLY in Arabic. This is JUST a TRANSLATION. I asked my husband to read it and further explain all the points in it before posting this to you cont.....
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 10:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• cont... What this surah is explaining is HOW a husband is to treat his wife when she is acting in a haram manner. What it is saying is to first TALK to her and kindly ask her to correct her way, if she does not change them stop having sex with her (this shows that the intimate relations between husband and wife should be such that the husband refusing sex with the wife would cause her such distress that she would change her behavior to have the relations back) the last is to "beat them lightly" I want to point out that "beat" is not a correct translation for the word in Arabic. It should be more like "tap" a husband can tap his wife to get her to stop her behavior BUT there is a VERY SPECIFIC limit of this action. HE CAN NOT tap her on her face, he can not tap her hard enough to leave ANY MARK, its the equivilant of taping someone on the hand LIGHTLY with a toothbrush or pen or something. cont...
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 11:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• cont... If he transgresses this limit this is VERY haram, (sinful) and she has every right to justice and compensation for this. That is why taking parts of the Quran without knowing what is behind it, without speaking Arabic, and without with Hadiths that may pertain to it you can't possibly understand it all. I hope this answers your question, please feel free to ask anymore you may have.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 11:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I also want to point out that at the begining of the verse it states that men are the protectors and maintainers of women, this means that the husband is the one who has to support his wife from his own money. She DOES NOT have to provide ANY money to support herself, it is HIS responsibility to provide her with housing, medical care, food, clothing for every season, ect. Any money that she has is HERS, for her to do what she will with it and he can not touch it unless she gives consent for it. If she is unmarried or widowed it is her next closest male relatives responsibility to then provide this- if she has no male relative able to do this it is the communities responsibility to support her. In Islam woman are valued and protected, from their physical wellbeing to their financial wellbeing.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 11:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• thanks so much for that thorough explanation. Would you like to tell use what this one means?

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and guard their chastity; that is purer for them. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their chastity, and not to make a display of their beauty except what is apparent, and let them cast a cover over their bosoms.... And turn to Allah (God) altogether, O believers, in order that you might succeed (Koran 24: 30
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• very interesting translation. I think the bible is definitely more disrespectful to women.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Thank you NCmommy2be for that explanation.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i don't recall the biblical scripture, OP-since that is what you're comparing this to- that states to beat or strike a woman for disobeying. in fact, i distinctly remember a 'stoning' that was to occur, and JC said, ''he who is without sin (rebellion, in this case as compared to the reading above), cast the first stone.'' nope, no similarities here, OP.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2010