Original sin?? (for Catholics please)

Ok I'm a Catholic. I understand what original sin is and I know why we are Baptized. Here is my thought on the topic ... I simply can not believe that a Kind Loving God would send an innocent Soul to purgatory. My example years of workin in NICU I have seen MANY MANY babies die... who were not Baptized I simply do not believe the God would punish these poor innocent babies .. it doesnt make sense.. Had this out with a Cousin in Law--Also some people just simply never get to "know" about Jesus but live purposeful and good lives and good people would God not want them in HIs Kingdom?? now I want to hear others opinions so what say you?

MELRN

Asked by MELRN at 10:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe it's purgatory you're misunderstanding. Purgatory isn't so much a place as a process. Purgatory is the purification/cleansing of the soul to prepare it for heaven. It is not punishment for sins. Everyone in purgatory goes to heaven. No one gets stuck there. And it's quote possible for some people that purgatory is instantenous.  (This article on purgatory may be helpful for you.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i am catholic born and raised. i have changed some of my beliefs. i see that if those babies die that he needs them. but i dont believe that it is all god sometimes its just the baby has a lot of problems.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 10:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Or perhaps you're confusing purgatory and limbo. Limbo is a "theolgoical concept" not a Catholic doctrine (purgatory is Catholic doctrine). Catholics are not required to believe in the existance of limbo. The idea came about because we know everyone needs God's grace er heaven - even babies. And we know baptism is the way we know that Jesus gave us the Sacrament of baptism to receive that grace. So the question is what happens to babies who are not baptized? Some Catholic theologicans came up with the idea of limbo - a place of perfect happiness but without the presence of God. But again - it's not something Catholic are required to believe. The "offical" Catholic teaching on unbaptized infants is basically - we don't know for sure what happens. Jesus didn't reveal that specifics to us. But as the Catechism says:
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Oops sorry ran out of room. As the Catchism says:

As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Good questions, but you sound a little confused on what the Church teaches. The book "Catholicism for Dummies" explains both of these points well and in very easy to understand terms. Both are also addressed in the Catechism, you might want to take a look at one or both of them. I love having them for reference when something like that comes up that I'm unsure of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• This is why I left the Catholic church. It doesn't make sense.
    Anonymous

• Anon 5:25 - So you left without actually understanding what the Catholic Church teaches? If you don't actually understand it, how do you know it's wrong?
    Anonymous