how do you keep a 7 year old boy form wanting to running away from home?

he wants to sleep with the light on and in his sister's room or mom and dad's but never his own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ok, these are two conflicting ideas to me. He wants to run away from home, but he wants to sleep in your room or sister's room with the light on. Am I getting this? It sounds like he's scared of something in the house. Maybe you should ask him what it is and try to help to feel better.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• try sleeping in his room with him. Compromise and tell him he can have a small night light instead of having the bright room light on. Then gradually move from the room. First night fall asleep in bed with him. The next night, camp on the floor next to the bed until he falls asleep. Then keep moving further and further away. But, always let him know that if he needs you, you will be right there for him.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• What does sleeping in others rooms have to do with running away? How would one so young even fathom that concept..?
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree that he's afraid of something. Maybe he's hearing sounds in the middle of the night that scare him. Just talk with him. I'm sure you can find a solution to the problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My mom packed me a bag, set it by the door and told me that she loved me and would miss me. I walked to the end of the block with my bag and sat there. I wasn't allowed to cross the street yet so I couldn't run very far. LOL

It could be that something scared him and he doesn't like the house. Talk with him and reassure him that he is safe, loved and would be missed if he ran away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Sounds like something is majorly wrong here. Why is he so scared? I agree talk with him and see what is wrong. If he won't tell you take him to a therapist. Perhaps he/she can find out what he won't tell you.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• my son does the whole I'm running away thing -- I just watch him and then explain that either its too cold or too dark ...
    and what he packs is HILARIOUS (bakugan, his airplane, a couple of legos -- get the idea) The other day I just ignored him and he yelled BYE MOM!!! until he was two houses down b/f he came back to ask if i'd heard him.
    He's even written I love you, I'm sorry I have to go notes"

I was a drama queen too so I take it with a grain of salt.

but yeah running away and sleeping with someone are two diff. things... will he sleep w/ a light in his own room ... he may be scared of the dark.
    When does he say he's running away... mine typically does it after he gets in trouble
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2010