Is it okay for my 1 year-old to still be drinking out of a bottle? Or should I just take it away all together?

He occasionally will use a sippy cup but at bedtime he will take nothing but a bottle. My Pediatrician said a bottle was okay for bed as long as when he falls asleep the bottle is not still in his mouth.

gagesmama86

Asked by gagesmama86 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's FINE. My kids were around 16 months when they transitioned from bottle to sippy. Every kid is different and 1 is still a baby!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• my daughter was off a bottle at 18 months it does something to there teeth after 1
    Anonymous

• I personally took my daughters away when she turned one, but that is just what worked for me. We had to do it cold turkey and I never had a real issue with it.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I had the same response from my son's doctor, as long as he doesn't fall asleep with it in his mouth. My son is 17 months and still uses the bottle to fall asleep at night and for his naps but has a sippy cup the rest of the time. Every baby is different. If that's the only way your will fall asleep, its ok
    Danamiah

Answer by Danamiah at 11:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• he's still a baby, let him try to self wean....Just don't be one of those ridiculous parents that let's their kids have a bottle till they're 4 years old.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• take the bottle away, he doesnt need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My son was off a bottle WAY before his 1st birthday because he took to the sippy and it wasnt a problem for him to not have the bottle.. I personally was going to make him stop cold turkey because I didnt want him to have teeth issues later like I did.. But to each their own and I think as long as you dont have a 3 year old running around with a bottle your fine.. Try going without if it causes a lot of problems he's gets really upset give it back but if he shows no problem just dont give it back but keep at least one in the house in case something goes wrong.. Thats what I would do but it's up to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My oldest had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up when he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I'm not a fan of older children (like 2+ years) drinking from bottles, but I also don't like the idea of taking away a comfort item. But, my DD is 18 months already and she still gets her bottle with milk every evening, so we'll see what happens in the next few months.....
    MommaToSam

Answer by MommaToSam at 6:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010